April 27, 2009

Rethinking Our Educational Path

I have been doing a lot of reading online about A Thomas Jefferson Education. In all that I have read, it really seems to fit with my personal beliefs about education. I have always been a sponge when it comes to learning new things. And like most "self educated" people, I have my passions. History is the biggest one.

My children have their passions too. My daughter's is writing and reading. My middle child, his are boats, construction, architecture, among many others. My youngest, has his passions as well, although they seem to be harder to focus on. He is passionate about animals. Doesn't matter if it is domesticated or wild, nor does it matter where in the world it lives. Animals period. Oh, and dinosaurs. This child could tell you more information about dinosaurs than you ever really wanted to know.

And while I am not a perfect parent, and my children are not of "storybook quality", I do believe that the four of us are doing a pretty good job raising each other. I say "each other", because they teach me just as much as I teach them.

One article that hit home this morning though, has me thinking how much am I on the "mark" when it comes to their character. None of my children are evil, or exceptionally bad. They have their moments where they disagree with my opinion and do what they feel is best, or more fun. Thank goodness they have not gotten into any real life altering scrapes as a result of these decisions. But isn't that part of our job as parents.....to let them make these mistakes while still living at home, so that we can guide them and correct them?

Here is a quote from the article :
"If you want to teach your children to excel in life and be able to make things happen in the society they live in, you must teach them the following seven traits. And, unless you teach them these traits, they will not learn them...."

He then goes on to list the 7 traits, with a link for each to the definition. I think this is one article that I will be printing out, and discussing with my children. I want to see if they know what each is, examples of each, and we can discuss how these traits can be valuable the rest of your life.

I will let you know how it goes...I may just crash and burn....but I have high hopes, and that is what life is built on....right???

Be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers