May 31, 2009

Your Enemies

I was on our church website tonight, listening to a past sermon, as I wasn't able to go to church today. It was based around Nehemiah 4, about the rebuilding of the wall of Jeruselum. Pastor Dave was speaking on this particular subject, in regards to our church, and how we have gaps in our "wall" that need to be repaired, within our church. Areas of our ministry that need re-evaluating, or a complete overhaul.

It wasn't his intention, but two verses jumped off the page for me. In Nehemiah 4:4-5 it says:
"
Hear, O our God, for we are despised. Turn back their taunt on their own heads and give them up to be plundered in a land where they are captives. 5 Do not cover their guilt, and let not their sin be blotted out from your sight, for they have provoked you to anger in the presence of the builders."

I have a family member, who has been my enemy most of my life. Not someone who you would think could be an enemy....my grandmother. She lives life with such a hate in her heart, it is a wonder she ever felt love.

I tend to be the target of her hate, because rather than sidestep her judgements of me, I confront her when she is not being fair, whether it be to me, or another member of the family. I have since learned, through HIS grace, that this is the wrong way to go about it. But, no matter that I do not engage her and her anger actively anymore, I am still the target of her taunts, hateful comments, and snide looks.

Those verses up above were like having a good friend with me over coffee, advising me what to do about the situation. And yet again, I am reminded to give it to HIM.

Unfortunately I am not able to just avoid the situation, as we are currently living in the same house. But, until the kids and I can move out, I pray for God to give me guidance in handling the situation in the HIS way.

If you have an enemy of your own, whether it be a family member, an associate, whoever....I hope this verse blesses you as it has me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers