September 14, 2009

Using the Blogosphere in Your Homeschool

I have been toying with the idea of how to help my 11 year old son become a more independent learner. Part of what needs to happen, is for me to give him the tools to do so.

To that end, I decided to set up a blog for him, where I will list his assignments, and he is to check it each day, and complete the assignments. It is no where near as independent as I would like him to be, but he is 11. It will take some serious training on my part, to get him where he needs to be by the time he hits 14/15. But it is a start.

This also solves an issue for me.....PLANNING. I am a horrible planner. And as much as I love paper and pen for my own things, using a planner or assignment sheet of any kind is just not in my nature. We "wing it" way too often. So, I decided to do what I do best....use the internet! I am online every morning before school anyway, why not take advantage of it, spend a few minutes writing his assignments out on his blog, and be done with it. I know, you say "but you could do that on paper!", well yes I could, but for whatever reason, I don't. I guess I have a mental block to planners, maybe it goes back to my own public school days. Besides, I wouldn't have anything to share with you, if I did it on paper. :0)

If you would like to see his blog, you can go here. Feel free to show your own children. I am also considering adding a writing element to his blog, where he would write once a week or more, about subjects that interest him, or that are part of his normal Language Arts program.

As we work through this virtual assignment log, I will also be adding "Mom Links" to the side bar, showing you what we use for our homeschooling. Feel free to use them yourself.

Have a blessed day!

4 comments:

  1. I love the way you set up the assignments onine! What a great idea! Kids will be using the computer more and more as the years go on anyway, so it's great to get him started now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura! As you can see, I missed a few days last week hehe. I need to train myself as much as I train him. I will get it where I want it eventually. It will also be easier for him to use once we are in our own place again (we are living with family), because then he will have the desktop computer to use as he needs all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, g/f~

    What a FANTASTIC IDEA! I think I may have to follow suit on this one. Do you mind if I stop by for some tips and advice?

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Followers