November 18, 2009

Workboxes and Organization

I have read many time over the last year or so about Workboxes, a system created by Sue Patrick for homeschooling organization and accountability. And I have read a few interviews where she balks at using something other than what she recommends in her book (the shelving and plastic containers from Target). But frankly, part of what makes homeschooling GREAT is the fact that you can be inspired by someone, and make it your own. We are individuals.

With that, I have decided to give this system a try. I read the book about 6 months ago, thanks to my local library (don't buy when you can borrow!). I recently put out a request on my Facebook page for organizing tips from my fellow homeschoolers, and they came through amazingly. But I need something that will keep ME accountable. Especially with the recent move, I am lax on school work, because my own "to do" list is so long. And yes, I know we go through seasons in our homeschool....I don't know a homeschool family who doesn't. And I know if we only did schoolwork for 5 months of the entire year, we would still accomplish more than any public school on the planet.

But.....and it is a big But....Yehovah is trying to work in me. He is tapping me on the shoulder to do better, both as mom and as teacher. I need to listen.

So, I will spend the rest of this week setting up our "workbox" system using what I have, expanding file folders in bright colors. I will work through and figure out what I want to put in them for each of the boys for next week. I will get any printables printed out before the weekend is over, so that I am not doing it at the last minute.

I think next week will be the perfect week to test drive this, as it is a short week due to Thanksgiving. And by using the expanding file folders, I will not be spending any money, and if it doesn't work, no loss. Now, if it does work, and I am praying on this very seriously, then I will invest in something more durable such as magazine holders or something along those lines.

Pictures to come on Monday, along with a list of links that have inspired me.

Be blessed :)

2 comments:

  1. We use workboxes too!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. And congrats to your son on his first buck. It is a wonderful way to be a provider and it is good that he is learning young. *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I am thinking they will be a great tool for my boys and I.

    I enjoyed your blog so much, and will be visiting often. :)

    Thanks I will pass the congrats on to Joe. He is very proud of himself, as he should be.

    ReplyDelete

Followers