January 18, 2010

Review: Miss MaggieRaye's Laundry Soap

I don't normally do reviews of anything. But on this one I had to. Miss MaggieRaye published an article on the Gleaning The Harvest website a bit ago, concerning making your own laundry soap and other cleaning products. I have wanted to try the homemade laundry soap for quite some time, and now that we are in our own place, it was the perfect opportunity.

I bought my washing soda, Borax, and for my batch, Ivory bar soap. I can't find a lot of bar soap that is usable by my family, as 3 of the 4 of us suffer from excezema, and most just irritate what is already an irritating problem. Ivory happens to be one of the "safe" soaps for us.

I gathered my supplies, followed Miss MaggieRaye's steps, and it was so simple, it makes me wonder what took me so long! It does as she says, and turns to a gel, so you need to remix it before you use it. What I did was store the main batch in a large pail with a lid (one batch made about 1/4 of a 5 gallon pail). I then used an old Arm & Hammer laundry soap bottle I had, and filled it, allowing a little space. This allowed me to shake the bottle to mix up the soap, so it wasn't a thick gel, and easier to pour.

It is now 3 weeks later, and I just refilled the bottle again with the remaining batch from the first time. I got about 3/4 of a bottle with what I had left. Now, to let you know how far this first bottle went...we have 8 people in our house currently. One a baby, and one a toddler (you KNOW how much laundry they produce)...their clothes may be little, but they go through a lot of them lol.

Then we have 3 adults, and 3 teens. So as you can see, that is a lot of laundry, just in clothing alone. Never mind all the towels for showers, etc.

I expect the last 3/4 of a bottle to last me almost as long. One thing I REALLY, REALLY like about it is that my towels are not overly soft. I am one of those who prefers a bit of a "scratch" to my towels when I dry off. This comes from a tip I learned years ago, about adding too much softener to a laundry load actually makes the towels less absorbent. It is true. You are basically coating your clothing.

The other thing I like about doing laundry with this soap is the fact that there are not a ton of perfumes in it. It is a simple Ivory smell, and while initially strong when coming right out of the bottle, there is no smell when it is done washing.

I am planning on letting the dryer take a rest, since my electric bill has doubled in the last month, with the new additions to the house, so I may keep a small bottle of liquid fabric softener on hand, and add a drop or two to each load, only so we don't have overly scratchy clothes. Can't wait to hang a clothesline outside once warmer weather is here.

So, if you have a desire to try homemade laundry soap, I HIGHLY recommend Miss MaggieRaye's recipe. You won't be sorry :)

Be blessed

6 comments:

  1. Hey, sweet lady~

    I have been making my own laundry detergent since May of '07 and I LOVE IT!

    Glad to see you're hooked! :> )

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's great - glad everything worked out for you. Mom said she wants to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I had to wait until we moved, but boy am I glad I did it! I was going through one of those Arm & Hammer bottles in about the same time as the homemade, but it cost me almost $4/bottle. This is costing me pennies per bottle. I am definitely hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Jocelyn, she really should! It is super simple to make (I think it took me like 30 mins or so). The hardest part was getting into the laundry soap bottle I had on hand, but I found a good funnel with a wide enough bottom, and ta-dah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! with all of these positive reviews and comment, I am going to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pleasure Tammy! Let me know how you like it :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers