January 27, 2010

Skirts and Cold Weather

This past weekend, while shopping at a local Goodwill, I found 3 fabulous long skirts. One is a lighter-weight, black cotton one, that goes just a few inches above my ankles. I also found 2 corduroy ones, also the same length. I wore the black one two days ago, and found out very quickly that I froze. I wore it all day, but decided then and there, if I am going to go all skirts, then I need a new way to stay warm.

I have been reading around on the internet for suggestions, and have found some fabulous ones:

The Stay-At-Home Missionary blog has some fabulous tips in this post.

Homemaker's Corner has some tips too, scroll down a bit to the winter tips.

The information on Homemaker's Corner inspired me to consider homemade flannel slips as an additional layer under my skirts. I can make them of any length (long or shorter - below the knee). What will I use for these slips?

Flannel nightgowns! I have one already, that my daughter no longer wanted. I think it will make a fabulous slip, just by cutting from just below the sleeve on one side to the other. Adjust for length, add a waist with elastic for comfort, and poof! A slip. I know my local Salvation Army store has these for just a few dollars, and there are some very pretty ones out there.

I also am going to be buying a couple pairs of long johns, what most would call long underwear. I am not concerned with the tops, just the bottoms. With a pair of these under a longer skirt, and dark knee highs, it should keep my nice and toasty. If needed, I can shorten them by cutting them at the right length, then re-adding the cuff portion.

Now, for why I want to wear skirts. It has been on my heart for over a year. Some think that it is due to legalism of my faith. While my faith is extremely important to me, and I am learning more and more what YHWH truly wants in my life, this is not the reason.

Over the course of the last few years, one of the most important lessons I have been learning is what a daughter of YHWH should be. For me, skirts are part of this. I have to admit I was afraid to make the change. Afraid of what people would say...in other words, the world. But YHWH tells us to not be of this world. He tells us to not be concerned with what others think. I always thought I felt this way, even before my faith became stronger. But I wasn't. Until recently.

You do not have to agree with my decision. That is fine. I choose this for me, and that is what feels right in my heart. I have prayed to YHWH, and he has not denied this, so I am going to follow through with it.

I will post pictures in my next post, of my flannel slip project, and let you know how it comes out.

Be blessed

13 comments:

  1. Stephanie, I've been going through the same thing with the skirt/dresses. I went to the Salvation Army and found some nice skirts and underneath I wear stretchies/long johns. I am very warm.

    I love wearing the dresses, feeling warm and cozy. I can do all my reqular work without a problem.

    I'm very excited for you as you sense God calling to change your attire. Amen!!!

    God bless,

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is Laura Mcgrade :) I saw you had a blog and stopped by. I think is great that you wear skirts, or dresses. They are feminine, pretty and tent to make (at least myself) act more feminine. When my hub and I married we made it the unspoken rule for me to wear skirts.. I was exited..and today I can say I own no pants. Our decision was mainly made because of these:
    Deu 22:5 says: "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so [are] abomination unto the LORD thy God."
    I thought though I know many godly women who wear pants...they aren't sinning weather they wear them or not..as long as they are not immodest. But we saw this as well even if any women wear them it is still men's clothes. We asked.."who wore pants first in history?" Wasn't it the men? Then I assume some feminist came along and said.. "If men can wear pants..SO CAN WE!" Now I won't point my finger at you and say "..oh woman YOU ARE WEARING PANTS!POOH ON YOU!", nor will I mention anything.. unless you ask me ,of cores, for my opinion. The main question is this...what is your husband most pleased with? And whatever he says.. then it is your duty to follow up with a joyful, willing smile. :)

    Enjoy your femininity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Stephanie~

    It is a personal decision and I commend you for it, my friend. We are still getting strange looks from my family when we felt called to longer eat pork or shellfish.

    I too, no longer think about what others say. I only answer to one.......MY HEAVENLY FATHER!

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jasmine! Oh how I miss you darlin :) I need to get over to Yahoo more to talk to you. Thank you for your support. You are such an inspiration for my my dear friend!

    Laura Mcgrade: It was amazing how differently I felt the other day wearing my skirt! I truly felt feminine, and this coming from a "tomboy" lol. I am no longer married, so I take my cues from YHWH, and what he wants for me. Thank you for the wonderful comment, it is much appreciated!

    Laura: Thank you sweetie! I am still working on the pork thing (sigh), but it is getting easier. I never ate shellfish (or seafood period) because of a horrible dislike for it, so that was easy lol.

    Amen on YHWH being the only one to answer to!! Thanks for commenting, it means alot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stephanie! I didn't even realize that you weren't on my blogroll! All taken care of now!

    Thank you for commenting on my blog! You are so encouraging!

    Lord bless you!
    Sarah
    A House On Fire

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie-
    I admire your strength to listen to Him. In this world it isn't always easy to be "different", but it certainly is rewarding!
    Thats been the whole reason for us trying to live frugally, trying to stop relying on the world to provide our food sources, teaching our daughter, etc. Because, believe me, 10 years ago I was all about stopping by McDonalds for lunch and Jack N the Box for dinner, never in a thousand years would I think I would be backyard homesteading, etc. LOL The change isn't always the easiest at first but it becomes easier. He gives you little hugs and touches and you just *know* it's right.

    As far as skirts and staying warm, I guess my suggestions would be thermals, tights or leggings. Are you opposed to wearing something like that underneath?

    Glad I found your blog :) I am following :)
    And! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I dont get many, so its greatly encouraging!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bobbi,
    No not opposed at all, matter of fact, went and bought some thermals this past weekend. Hehe. I am all about being warm in the winter.

    I think your blog is fabulous, and definitely am following you as well.

    I grew up on a mini farm where we raised everything ourselves. I want to get back to that. At the moment it is hard in an apartment, but I will find a way some day! :)

    Thanks for being such a blessing, and for the beautiful comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As children of God we must be lead by His Word and the still small voice of the Holy Spirit within us.

    I keep warm by using leggings, socks and tall boots.

    God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie,

    I pretty much only wear skirts/dresses also. When we were missionaries in the Canadian Arctic I wore skirts 95% of the time. Instead of long johns I wore a type of long johns called "luvs." They are smooth and comfortable, they're more like extra thick tights. Even though we are in Ca. now I still wear them under my skirts if it gets below 50 degrees and I'm outside.

    Your idea of flannel slips is much like the flannel lined skirts I had, very warm. I love your idea of a slip though.

    I love your blog, glad I found it. :)

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah,
    Thanks, I really enjoy your blog!

    Syndey, thank you for the blessings :) And the tips!

    Christine: Love the idea of flannel lined skirts, might have to try that next lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Stephanie!
    You're all hooked up on the NE Bloggers list. If you'd like to be on my mailing list for when we do fun things like our birthday party, drop me a note at e_bogardus AT hotmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Elizabeth :) I will drop you a note :)

    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Stephanie!
    I have a blog award for you!
    Come by my blog and get it when you can!
    God bless!
    ~Hannah
    http://preparingforourchildrensfuture.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Followers