May 2, 2010

Homestead Plans

When my parents moved us from the "big city" of Norwalk, CT 37 or so years ago, their intent was to give us each 2 acres of our own, to give us a start in our adult lives. About 13 years ago, my then husband and I paid to have the survey done and filed with the state for our two acres to be subdivided from my parents. We began clearing a section for the mobile home we planned on putting in. Then things changed....

Fast forward 13 years and I am still not on that 2 acres. The clearing has small saplings filling it in, and I am itching to get in a home of our own.

Because I have so little income, I am going to gladly jump into the age old practice of bartering. There is a great man, that is a friend of my father's, and knows just about everyone in our small town. Rusty terrified me as a child. He is somewhere around 7ft tall. Seriously. He towers over me even today (yeah, I haven't grown since I was 12 lol). He has the biggest heart in the world and will help anyone.

He is going to be my main contact. I need to get my land cleared, and most everyone we know burns wood for heat. The common sense thing to do would be to use what I own (2 acres of trees), to barter to get my land cleared. I could easily use one of the local companies that has popped up in the last year or so, offering to clear your lot for free, in exchange for the wood, which they then sell to a mill, or sell as firewood. But why put money in a stranger's pocket? There are so many local people hurting because of the economy, and if I can help out these people my family knows, many of whom I grew up with and went to school with, why not do it?

They get help for next winter, and I get help getting one step closer to my goal of getting on my land.

I spend a lot of time reading online, trying to gain information and ideas for when we do get on our land. Everything from gardening, canning, livestock, etc. The ideas swimming in my head are endless and sometimes overwhelming. I have decided to start a notebook, to keep all my plans and ideas in. This will help me keep things straight, and keep me from forgetting things down the road.

One of the first things I need to do is to make a master plan of what needs to be done to the land before we can get on it, along with estimates. Unfortunately, after emailing with our building inspector, my initial plan of going with an electric composting toilet to save the need for a septic, isn't going to happen. I haven't gotten an explanation yet, just that I cannot do it. I need to investigate this further. It could potentially save me $6000. That is a lot of money. I know if I do have the go the traditional route, I can save money by using people in my community. The previously mentioned Rusty, would be happy to help me by digging both the hole for the septic and the foundation, for a lot less money than someone else would. In exchange I can help him or his wife Mary out with something....maybe some fresh veggies, or something else. More investigation and a conversation with them is in the near future.

Stay tuned....I will post pictures next time I go up, so that you can see what I am up to, and where I need to go from here. Exciting times ahead!!

4 comments:

  1. Good morning, sweet one! I have also gone back to the barter system. I have a friend who owns a hair salon. When I needed my hair trimmed and done for Goose's wedding, she did all my hair trials and such and I recovered pillows for her window seat. It was a definite WIN-WIN situation!

    I am working hard at getting more people to barter instead of using money. In this economic time, so many of us can't afford to lay any extra money out.

    I am looking forward to see what you will be doing with your property. I pray all will work out for you, precious one!

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Laura! You touch my heart each day :) I am so blessed to have you as a friend.
    I personally think it was a big mistake for people to move away from bartering, and you will see a huge increase as the economy is so slow to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it works out cheaply (and quickly) for you! I can only imagine the frustration of owning land and not being able to use it. I'll be praying for your bartering :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Angelique! It is frustrating, but in YHWH's time, not mine :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers