June 1, 2010

Silence

Psalm 62: A psalm of David: My soul waits in silence for G-d alone; my salvation comes from him. 2 He alone is my rock and salvation, my stronghold; I won't be greatly moved. 3 How long will you assail a person in order to murder him, all of you, as if he were a sagging wall or a shaky fence? 4 They only want to shake him from his height, they take delight in lying with their mouths they bless, but inwardly they curse. (Selah) 5 My soul, wait in silence for G-d alone, because my hope comes from him. 6 He alone is my rock and salvation, my stronghold; I won't be moved. 7 My safety and honor rest on G-d. My strong rock and refuge are in G-d. 8 Trust in him, people, at all times; pour out your heart before him; G-d is a refuge for us. (Selah) 9 Ordinary folks are merely a breath and important people a sham; if you lay them on a balance-scale, they go up both together are lighter than nothing. 10 Don't put your trust in extortion, don't put false hopes in robbery; even if wealth increases, don't set your heart on it. 11 G-d has spoken once, I have heard it twice: strength belongs to G-d. 12 Also to you, Adonai, belongs grace; for you reward all as their deeds deserve.


Since I was a small child, I have had a love-hate relationship with silence. Silence was my solace from two brothers, as I would go sit in my "secret" place in the woods ( a large boulder just behind our house...not really "secret", as everyone knew where it was and that if they couldn't find me, that was where to look first). But if I was alone, say at home, I always had the tv or the radio on. I disliked being in complete silence.

Even just a few years ago, I couldn't be at home without having the tv on "for noise". I didn't like the house being quiet, especially if the kids weren't home. I rarely watched it, although sometimes something caught my attention. Imagine how much electricity I could have saved if I just turned it off!

Now, I rarely have a tv or radio on. We don't do cable any more. If I want to watch something, I look for it online, and watch it at my convenience. I am finding that as I work through my days, I hardly ever turn on the radio even. Occasionally I will put talk radio on, but not often. The news is all the same anyway. How to fight back against a government that is quickly and without thought, eroding our rights as citizens.

Instead, I have come to love the silence. So much so, that when the neighbors downstairs slam a door, or some of her rescue dogs argue, or one of her little ones screams, it sends me a few inches out of my seat. I have more time to think, which is both a good thing and a bad thing.

I spend more time in Yah's Word, reading, learning, soaking it all up. I also spend more time talking to my children. They are funny, and I love the conversations we have. I have also learned to find comfort in silence. It is a safe place now, a place where I can talk to Yah, and find out what he wants from me next.

Ahhh...silence equals peace.

Be blessed

6 comments:

  1. I love silence :) Sometimes it gets to me, but I hate when DH has the TV on and is sleeping or has walked away from it for a long time. I always turn it off because the chatter drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erela, my youngest son does that! I tell him all the time. stop leaving the tv on, and he says "I thought I turned it off". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are comfortable in silence, I think it equates with being comfortable with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought of it that way Mama Pea, good point! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if the enemy distracts us with the "noise" to keep us from hearing Yah? To keep us from being diligent in listening either to those around us in our care and to His still small voice.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think many times that is the case Stephanie. It is funny how we change over the years, and what is important changes. I wouldn't go back in time for anything though....despite my mistakes and misteps. I love where I am, love that I can learn each day about Yah, and connect with people with the same beliefs as me. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers