August 14, 2010

The No Poo Challenge - Update #1

It has been three days since I started the challenge to give up shampoo for a healthier alternative.

I chose to use the recipe shared by my sweet friend Miss Jocelyn, of baking soda, egg yolk and water, made into a paste.

I haven't washed my hair since then, as I usually only wash my hair twice a week due to my very dry scalp. After my hair dried the night I washed it, I was very impressed with how soft it was. The brush went through it easily, just using the apple cider vinegar for a conditioner rinse. I did put that on my scalp, and my daughter could faintly smell it the next morning, but only if she got super close to my scalp. Next time I will only put it on my hair, not the scalp.

The next morning I woke up, and after brushing it was a bit more frizzy than normal, and my curls were almost non-existent. But, with that said, my hair has been super dry anyway, so I am not contributing it to the "shampoo" entirely. I also have read that most people go through an adjustment period using this method.

As I said before, it is day 3, my hair is still super soft, no oily residue (although I tend not to get that anyway even with traditional shampoo), and it is still brushing well.

Here is a video shared by my friend Jasmine, that explains how to mix the ingredients. In this video the woman shares that Rosemary is good for dry scalp, so I am going to try to find some to give it a try. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers