September 5, 2010

Sick :( Again.....

I have always been prone to sinus and respiratory infections. It runs in our family. My life as a kid was spent constantly going to the doctors, or to get meds to fight off the latest infection.

The last few years or so, I have been very blessed to not be sick. I had the sniffles here and there, but nothing major. Then this year has rolled around, and poof, sick twice in 2 months. Not just, "ughhh I don't feel good" sick...but full blown sinus infection along with a possible case of bronchitis.

I am attributing this to the fact that we are stretched pretty thin right now, and I am not doing enough to keep my immune system up. But I also refuse to get the flu or pneumonia shots this year. I want to get away from things like that, along with antibiotics. So what is a girl to do?

Well, first and foremost, build up this darn immune system! I have been doing great at eating lots of veggies. I don't do fruit though, my system can't handle it. I need to increase my vitamin C, along with other areas of concern to help fight off these foolish infections.

My friend Jacque shared a link to this immune boosting recipe some time ago, and I think it is time to give it a go. My only concern is the cayenne pepper, as I cannot do anything hot/spicy like that. So I will probably try making it without it. This is something that I think I could drink every other day, to help give my system the lift and protection it needs.

Jacque also shares her own GOOT recipe here, which will be done ASAP. It is something that I should have already had on hand. I eat a lot of things with garlic in them, but am curious how this will help. I will update you on it.

My friend Jo also recently shared an article on all the amazing things that vitamin C can do for your body...can't find the link at the moment...Jo if you read this and can share it, I would appreciate it :). But I don't want to take "supplements"...so need to do more research on ways to get vitamin C naturally, through the foods I eat.

This is all about taking charge of my own health, making sure I have on hand what I need to care for myself and my children, and not rely on doctors and antibiotics so much. Lots of research and stuff to do. Makes me realize it is just another area of my life where I am totally unprepared, but that will change soon.

Shalom!

9 comments:

  1. Sorry your sick! I'm interested in this goot recipe you shared-think I'll make some this afternoon. Feel better soon!

    Peace

    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marty:) It really is great stuff, from what I have experienced so far. I put it all around the sinus area of my face earlier today, and it is clearing it out fast! I am having to continually blow my nose, but that is a good thing! Still a bit of a junky cough, so going to put it on my chest as well before I go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my family we all suffer with sinus issue. We bought a netti pot at CVS and started doing saline sinus washes a couple times a day when the symptoms come on. It is messy and kind of gross, but it works like a charm, no need to see a doctor or fight the headaches etc since we started doing this a couple of years ago. Try it... you'll get used to it and then its great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, sweet Stephanie~

    I am sorry to hear that you are sick. I will be praying for a quick healing for you, my friend!

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elle: I have heard a lot of great things about the neti pot. My only concern would be that it would go down the back of my throat, and I have a zero tolerance gag reflex lol.

    Thanks Laura, you are such a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending wishes your way for a quick get-rid-of-what's-bothering you! Because of what you've been dealing with lately, I wouldn't be surprised if this all might have been brought on by emotions. They are powerful, you know. Try to keep thinking nothing but positive thoughts about things working out well. The vibrations we put out attract like vibrations back to us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stephanie~
    I'm so sorry you are sick, but hopefully this will bring a little sunshine to your day...I wanted to let you know that I am giving you the "One Lovely Blog Award". =)
    You can read more here: http://onesassydownhomemama.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-very-first-blog-award.html
    Blessings~
    Maranda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stephanie~
    I am so sorry that you are sick, but I wanted to let you know that I'm giving you the "One Lovely Blog Award". =)
    You can read more about it here http://onesassydownhomemama.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-very-first-blog-award.html
    I hope you feel better!
    Blessings~
    Maranda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mama Pea, I couldn't agree more about the positive vibes!! Thanks so much for the well wishes, they are always appreciated!!:)

    Maranda, thanks so much:) You did brighten my day!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers