February 13, 2011

A New Routine

I tried to find an image online, to go with this post, but I was sorely disappointed. Typing in "juggling work and home", or "working mother", brought up all sorts of images and clipart of a stressed mother with too many things to do, and sad looking children (or worse yet, crying babies). That doesn't have to be the image of a working mother.

No, after 3 days at my new job, I haven't figured out the perfect routine yet. It is a little chaotic when I get home at 5:30 because: I need to get dinner ready, make sure the kids did their chores (which they haven't been), and help with everyone's homework. But that doesn't mean that everything in my life needs to change.

I can still be the mom who bakes, cleans, and loves my children with all my heart. We just need to find what works for us:) I will be having a serious discussion with my children today, and putting consequences on not having chores done. I cannot be the one to do all the work, and they know that they have responsibilities as members of the family. It's nothing new....we went through this in the past even with me staying home. It's a normal kid thing.

As for dinner, I need to find some recipes that I can do in the crockpot, at least a few nights a week. I am not a huge fan of crockpot meals, it tastes too much like boiling to me, and I detest boiled meat of any kind. I need to see what I can come up with to help me change my mentality about it. It would make life so much easier. I also need to do something to remind myself to take things out of the freezer the day before. That has been my biggest issue, I forget, and then have to scramble for dinner ideas. If I remember to take the roast out the day before and get it all prepared, there is no reason one of the kids can't toss it in the oven, so that when I get home it is all ready:).

I really like my new job. There are lots of challenges learning things, but I am truly enjoying it. The people I work with are all really nice, and it's a relaxed office setting, which is a great way to transition back into the workforce. I am sure eventually it will become mundane, but that will be quite awhile down the road. Just as I am learning the DOS based computer set up we have now...within a few months we will all be learning a new system, as the company is switching what they use.

Off to finish my mom duties (joys), of baking some bread and coffee cake. Have a blessed week!

Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers