April 2, 2011

April Fools......or NOT

Yesterday I had the joy of driving to work in a Nor'easter....no kidding. I didn't get pictures (as I was at work all day), but here is a story from our local news. A drive that normally takes me 45 minutes on a good day, took me 1 hour and 45 minutes...at 30-35 mph. Luckily the drive home was normal, the snow had stopped by then. They are saying it will be nearly 50 today, so I am hoping for lots of melting.

It gets discouraging when you get a snow like that, after seeing the bare ground for a few weeks, and getting the gardening bug in your system. Here are a few shots of the garden area I took last weekend, to help me plan things out.



Where the railroad ties are, is where the landlord had their garden last summer. They have given me permission to double it in width, and length. It will extend all the way down to the area in the distance, where the landlord keeps her flower bed. Should make for some good planting area, as well as pollination with the flower bed right next to it.

To the left of the photo, just above the truck hood, is a parking spot marked out by railroad ties as well. I will be putting containers on the back side of this to plant more, since I cannot use the entire property for gardening (lol don't think I didn't try to convince them!). I will use some rubbermaid totes that I already have, to plant things like my tomatoes, green beans etc...that don't need that much space. I think it's going to work out perfectly. I will probably be placing other containers around the yard as well. I still want to try growing brussell sprouts this year.

I have found a local friend who is going to let me have manure to get the gardens up to speed. Now I just need to get my seedlings started. We had a minor water issue in the basement, which prompted me to do what I have been putting off...cleaning the basement. Because of that, the garage has a pile or two of stuff sitting in it, waiting to go to Saver's. Once that is out of there, I can start my seedlings in there and they will be protected until Mother Nature makes up here mind about our spring weather.

Off to putter for the day.....be blessed!!
(and think SPRING!)

4 comments:

  1. I hope you get that spring soon! You future garden area looks wonderful! I can't wait to read more as you progress. It looks like a lot of fun for sure..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo! It has to be spring eventually lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's especially exciting to start a garden in a new-to-you area. Just to watch how everything progresses and what you'll be doing the year after to make it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mama Pea:) I have decided to keep a garden journal this year, so I can see what works, what doesn't. I got that idea from you!!:)

    ReplyDelete

Followers