April 26, 2011

My Harshest Critic

Raise your hand if you can relate........I AM MY HARSHEST CRITIC. There I said it.
"C", the woman I work with, tells me all the time that I need to be more relaxed with myself.

I know many women like myself. We have a continuous "to do" list, even if only in our head, and we get frustrated with ourselves if we don't accomplish it when we THINK we should.

Why is this? I honestly wish I knew that answer to that question. I was thinking over the last few days, all that I need to get done before the landlord arrives from Florida on the 16th, for the entire summer. We haven't finished the yard work yet (due mostly to weather), I want to do a deep clean of the house (but haven't yet)....the list goes on and on.

So what have I done lately?

-Working on average, 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. This doesn't include the 45 minute ride to work, and the 45 minute ride home.

-1/2 of the yard work done, thanks to the kid's help (or hindrance, haven't decided that one yet).

-Keeping up on laundry despite having to rely on drying in the basement (again due to weather, can't hang it out, where it would dry oh so much faster)

-Nightly helping my youngest with homework, most especially our least favorite subject......math.......which gives me a headache.

-Helping my parents whenever I can (going with mom grocery shopping almost weekly, etc.

-Cooking healthy meals for my kiddos and myself nearly every night of the week.

So in the end, when you look at that list, it's not so horrible is it? Yet all I see sometimes is the "didn't get done" side of the list. Need to change this mindset, just not sure how to go about it. Keep a list of what I have gotten done each day, instead of what needs to be done?

Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Make and excel spreadsheet with time slot increments down the left column, maybe in 15 minute bites. Leave the right column wide enough to write a few words in.

    Block out all the sleeping, driving to/from, and work time. For the rest, track what you're doing.

    A.maz.ing.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Q, I will give it a try:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA! It is so crystal clear to me that you are getting a HORRENDOUS amount of stuff done each and every day . . . and yet you (just like me -- sigh) can't see it and give yourself credit for it. What are we trying to prove? To whom? When you find the answers, please (PULEEZE!) share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the same of you Mama Pea when I read your posts! I think part of my problem is that I know I need to work, and I really like my job, but there is always that list in the back of my head, and my brain telling me "I could have gotten this done if I was home..."
    Someday I will be able to focus 100% on the home again:) Hugs and been praying for you in your recent funk as well!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers