May 30, 2011

Finally....gardening!!

Sunday was a busy day for myself, and middle child, Joe. He chose to stay home instead of going to dad's, therefore he voluntarily became my right hand man (despite his protests).

We did 2 dump runs first thing to get it out of the way. One for regular trash and then the 2nd to finally get rid of the old bike frames taking up space in the garage. Still have a giant load of stuff to take to Saver's...hopefully this week.

Then we used the hoe to loosen up the garden again. With all the rain last week, it really packed it back down. We got about 1/2 of that done, and we had to take a break, it was just too dang hot in the sun. Later in the afternoon I went out and started planting, once the sun was behind the trees.

In true country girl fashion, I did it in shorts, a tshirt and bare feet. I was filthy by the time I was done! LOL!

These are near the back door and hold peas. They should sprout pretty quickly. They get full morning sun, then shade in the afternoon.


Doesn't look like much, but in those first four rows are 36 tomato plant seedlings, and in between are carrot seeds.


The four rows to the right of the sprinkler, are three rows of green beans, and one row of onions. I still need to plant another row of onions, the spinach, and the pickling cukes. Hoping to get that done this week one night after work.

And just for your amusement, I had company the whole time I was out there:

4 comments:

  1. What is saver's- a type of scrapers place. We just started scraping to make ens meet. there is a magnet you can buy to tell you enough about the metal,anyway my grandsons was playing with the magnet and slide it across my TV.Now I have a huge green spot that turns red and purple

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy,
    Saver's is like a Goodwill or Salvation Army. The difference is when you donate to them, they give you a coupon for 15% on your next purchase in their 2nd hand store. I need summer tops, so get rid of stuff we don't need, and be able to get some clothes. Also, the sales from their store go to support the Epilepsy foundation.

    Oh, sorry to hear about the tv! I knew magnets weren't good for computers, but never would have dreamed they would do that to the tv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, congrats on getting in some of the garden! Be sure to post more pictures when it starts to grow and fill in. I love looking at other people's gardens.

    P.S. Wish my legs looked that good after being out of the sun all winter. I'm still a scary fish belly white!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama Pea - sure will! Although sad to say my tomato seedlings have all died:( Going to get some plants next week to replace them. We got hit with horrific winds Wednesday into Thursday and they were just too small to survive. The green beans are doing great though. Won't know about the carrots and onions till I see some sprouting.

    LOL, the only reason my legs look that good and not blinding white is because I was sitting in the shade and they were covered in dirt!! One of the guys at work made fun of me when I wore a skirt last week, telling me he needed sunglasses because my legs were like a lighthouse light...too bright white lol.

    ReplyDelete

Followers