July 31, 2011

I'm Still Here!

With the new computer system it has been work...work...and more work. Whew! But I am still here. Not much happening at the home, other than less housework getting done, less cooking getting done, and more sleep when I can.

Last Sunday the "system" was down for maintenance though, so I was able to get out into my severely neglected garden:
Yep, that is a garden in there....you wouldn't know it to look at it though would you? With my boy's helping (and lollygagging, and making me laugh), four hours later this is what it looked like:

Not too shabby! I was sore for days after, from being on my hands and knees pulling weeds, and getting up and down. Wowsers! Worked muscles I didn't know I had. I obviously won't get enough to do much more than munch on this year, but I have learned a lot. Next year I will be planting the ENTIRE area, not just half. I also will use an intensive planting to get more into a small area. Despite the neglect, I also have a few tomatoes growing, and all the plants have nearly doubled in size and all are flowering...a good sign!

We didn't manage to weed the peas...which were taken over by grass/weeds....

They are in the edge of that jungle there....but amazingly, I am getting some peas. I got enough yesterday for one serving, and nibbled on them raw....yum!

I bought this book last week while at Tractor Supply and can't wait to use some of his ideas!




And just to make you smile.....must be nice to not have a care in the world:)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, those critters have a rough life, don't they? Congratulations on your productivity, and I'm praying you a little more sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Q, they sure do have a rough life...sleeping all day, hunting when they feel like it (although this one doesn't hunt much..the other one does). Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on resurrecting much of the garden. There are just never enough hours in the day, are there?

    Love the contented cat picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mama Pea! I wish I had thought of the weed blocker sooner, not only is it keeping the weeds at bay, but the heat it creates is making the tomatoes go beserk lol. They are all finally getting fruit.
    That cat is Mika, my daughter's cat. She is about 7 yrs old and thinks she is the boss of everyone. Not a sociable cat at all, so I was lucky to get the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, I wanted to return the blog visit and thank you for taking the time to comment. So many parts of my garden look like yours "before"! You did an amazing job weeding and covering. I'm sure having a cat to snoopervise was a tremendous help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Leigh:) My hope is to be where you are in a year or two. I don't have the 5 acres, but do have 2. Right now we are in a rental. And yes cats always make the job go smoother lol.

    ReplyDelete

Followers