November 2, 2011

Homemade Chips


I decided yesterday to try a go at homemade potato chips. I was craving something crunchy and salty, and going to the store wasn't an option. Yet again, the slicer was a blessing! I have tried slicing potatoes thin enough before with a knife, but you just can't get them right.

I over did things in the slicing department, and ended up putting a coffee can full of the slices in the freezer for another day. That is the worst part, the frying, it only takes about 10 minutes per batch, but I ended up being at it for several hours, to get enough for a few servings for all of us. I have a small electric frying pan that I use to fry in oil, I won't fry on my gas stove. Too much risk of a splatter turning into a major issue with an open flame.

I guess I did ok....my pickiest eater, Tom (13yo) informed me that they were better than Lay's chips! Can't ask for more than that. Lets see how they hold up in the ziplock bag for a few days...might need to rethink the storage if they lose their crispiness.

12 comments:

  1. Ah, my dream come true! Homemade potato chips. And someone to make an endless supply for me.

    P.S. Did I ever mention I could LIVE on potato chips . . . if I didn't have a strong sense of guilt. Or hips. Or a husband who can hear the crinkle of my potato chip bag in the house when he's out in the back 40?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I am the same way Mama Pea....they are my downfall:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! I have to admit that we love our chips too. It's horrible to think of having to give them up, but you make it sound so easy. And freezing the extra slices in a coffee can in genius! I think I'd better get a slicer too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really was easy Leigh, if a bit time consuming:) I don't think we could give them up completely...if we ever couldn't get them from the store, I would do this for sure more often:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Looks good! Making potato chips has been on my mind too. I want to get a kettle cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Moonbeans:) They really did come out good, but I will have to find a better solution that a ziploc bag to store them in...they ended up going soft. I would love to have a basket that sits in my fryer, it would make it a lot easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is so informative and I think my subscribers would really enjoy reading this. I would love for you to come share it at Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on Frugally Sustainable today. And, I really hope that you will put Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on your list of carnivals to visit and link to each Wednesday! Here’s the link: http://frugallysustainable.blogspot.com/2011/11/frugal-days-sustainable-ways-1.html

    Warmly,
    Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable
    Here's the link: http://www.frugallysustainable.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Andrea:) Added, and I will do a write up in the morning about your carnival:) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie! Thank you so very much for linking up to Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways:) I'm so happy to "meet" you! I am totally loving your blog and your posts! I really hope you make Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways a part of your Wednesdays! And keep the great posts comin'
    Very sincerely,
    Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, I almost forgot to comment because I started thinking about making my own chips! Thanks, fellow Linky. Love doing my own things. Come visit when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hehe Sharlene!! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love making homemade potato chips! Sometimes we try our best to make sweet potato chips but they can be hard to master, lol!

    I would love for you to share posts, like this posts over at my link up, Healthy 2day Wednesdays! I hope you'll check it out. (starts at 11pm EST Tuesday nights and open until Saturday afternoon)

    ReplyDelete

Followers