December 16, 2011

Christmas Non-Stress

All over the internet is a scene that I see every year. People in a panic because they are stressing over what must be done to get ready for the holiday. Whether you celebrate Hanukkah, Christmas, or some other date.

Blogs, Facebook....it's everywhere. Oh no, I must get this, this, this, this and this done....and wait, I forgot that. I am so glad I am not in that group of people.

I am not a big holiday person. I celebrate for my kids, but if I had my druthers, it would just be another day. But even though I put up a tree, buy a few gifts, or bake....I am never stressed. Why? Because I don't let myself get that way.

Yes, the holiday stress is brought on by yourself. Either you over commit, or you do too much to impress people. I don't have the time nor the energy to worry about either. The most chaos I have during the holidays is trying to coordinate what the kids will do to have Christmas with their dad, and even that is figured out by a few days before. Then it is just a matter of dropping them off, and picking them up.

I don't do a lot of decorating. In years past it has been the tree, and a small set up of village houses. This year it is just the tree. I don't spend hundreds of dollars setting up lights outside, only to have to freeze my tookis off taking them down (or worse yet, leaving them up and having them be useless by summer). I don't hang millions of decorations around my house, or worry that the mantel look just right. It's too much clutter and chaos for my tastes.

Shopping is another area. I am a simple person. Due to finances this year, I will be going shopping on Christmas Eve (not the first time I have done this), and I will be going to Saver's and Dollar Tree. Nothing spectacular. My hope is to find one book for each kid, maybe a movie or something, and a few little things I can put in their stockings. Fortunately, I have simple kids. They don't need a lot to make them happy. They also have 3 Christmas's...ours, dad's and my mother's.

This year I may go to mom's for dinner, depending on where the kids are (here or at dad's). And by New Year's day, the tree will be down and packed away for another year. Simple. Quiet. Just the way I like it.

Don't let society or other people tell you how to celebrate. Do what feels right to you. If you want to go all out, making yourself crazy, fine. Do it because that is what you love. But don't do it because it is what every one else is doing. Ultimately, the holidays come down to one important thing....spending time with those you love. Period. The rest is just chaos.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm impressed. You seem very honest and perfectly content and happy with the choices you've made. Refreshing to read your post in all the (unnecessary) frazzlement of this time of year. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put. I think the thing that bugs me about Christmas, is that it only exists because of it's religious roots, yet those are banned by progressive culture. But we're supposed to go out and spend a fortune to celebrate it. What's wrong with that picture???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mama Pea:) My parents taught me to be honest, and although I struggled with that for years (what will everyone think??), I have decided that mentality is a waste of time.

    Thanks Leigh:) I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete

Followers