December 21, 2011

Little Things Matter

This morning I was checking out blog links of of other blogs I read. Searching for something to read, other than the wealth of holiday recipes. Looking for something, maybe information to add to my homestead notebook, or how-to's to inspire me.

I happened upon the blog The Simple Dollar, and was inspired in more ways than one. In ways I wasn't expecting. All because of this video:



No matter who you are, and how much or how little you think you have, you touch every person around you. You may think it is un-important, but to that person, it can mean everything.

I struggle, just like everyone else. Trying to keep my kids well taken care of, safe, and making sure that they know I love them more than anything. But in the end, it's not the things I buy them, or the home we live in that matters. It's the last one, the fact that they know they are loved.

This is also true for the people that I interact with on a daily basis. Some days I don't talk to anyone other than my kids, and my friends online, because I don't leave my house. But that short conversation to a friend on Facebook, who is having a rough day, that prayer request for a friend who's family member is sick....it can mean the world to them.

When I go out, especially this time of year, I remember a few years back, when I worked a seasonal position at a local Walmart. I remember dealing with cranky customers, who were in a rush to pack all they could into the shorter days running up to Christmas. You could tell they were stressed, but so was I. It is no fun getting yelled at by a complete stranger, because you do not have the exact item they are seeking, or you are just the "next person" in their day of frustration. Because of this, I always make a point of smiling, chatting politely with anyone I meet who works in retail.

Simple, common courtesy can mean the world to someone who is having a rough day. And as my mother has said since I was little, "no matter how hard you have it, there is always someone who is having a harder time."

Remember, it's the simple things that matter. Not gifts, not money. Giving time, a sentence of encouragement, those are what matter.

13 comments:

  1. Well said! And thanks for the reminder. I never understood the bad moods shoppers would be in during the last minute Christmas rush. What about the people working there? They HAVE to be there, you (the last minute shopper) are there probably because you failed to do things earlier, so don't go crabbing at the employees because your beanie baby is out of stock!

    Smile everyone, it is contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise and wonderful words! Since it is the simple things that make up about 90% of our lives, they do matter so much. I know a kind word or a hug from someone has the power to affect my outlook on life all day. It's truly the simple things that make life worthwhile.

    (Not only is smiling contagious, it's a natural facelift!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Mama Pea!! Perfect example was yesterday: I had a grumbly morning due to nothing in particular, and when I got the mail, I had a letter from a friend out in the midwest. It totally made my day that she took a few minutes to send me a note;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama Pea made a post using this post of yours as the insperation for hers. The video reminds me that "But for the Grace of God, Go I". There are trials and tribulations in all our lives, But there are thoes that have it a lot harder! At this time of year, We can lighten our own burdens by doing for others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a powerful post and video. I came here from Mama Pea's blog and am so thankful that she sent me here. I have been reading in the paper that people are going into Kmart and paying off layaway bills for families with children in need so they will have the items for Christmas. How wonderful is that?!?! No names involved, just payments made. A smile, a nod, a "Merry Christmas to you" are all no cost things we can do also. I think we would all like a kinder, gentler world. Thanks for pushing me in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So well said Karen!!! No matter what time of year it is, if people did those things, think of how amazing the world would be:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too came over from momma's,I stay at home on a continuous basis and am having a difficult time-to many to list,but this video made me cry ,because you see momma peas encouraging words brought up off the floor of desperation,and I might not be here if it weren't for her and right now I'm trying to give encouragement because my daughter said school called and said my grandson nick,was talking about committing suicide. we are getting help but wanted to thank you for sharing this wonderful video,it only takes a smile or a kind word!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Judy, my heart and prayers go out to you and your family. I too stay at home, and it is a struggle. Know that you are not alone!!! Feel free to contact me any time to chat if you need to. I know we don't know each other, but I would like to help if I could, even if it's just to listen. Praying for you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am on face book judy shockley in Brooklyn park MN-I DON'T SEE ANOTHER WAY TO CONNECT

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sent you a friend request, think I got the right Judy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Dr Momi :) Hope you and your family have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Followers