December 27, 2011

Momma Ain't Takin' No Prisoners!!!

Ok, so my own post on "thinking out loud with goals" this morning has spurred me into action! LOL, that was fast wasn't it? It usually takes me a few days before I get motivation like this. I decided that 3 cups of coffee was enough to get me going, and before the boys were even out of bed, the Christmas stuff came down.

Those two boxes in the photo above hold all my ornaments, garland, lights, and the village set up. That's it. Two boxes, which both measure about 12" or so high. I have other stuff downstairs that my mother gave me, that we don't use, so it will be going bye bye this week. No sense holding onto it since we don't use it, and someone else might. The tree is all packed away in it's box too. Just need to have the boys put them downstairs.

Then I attacked the dining room hutch thing, and cleaned that all out. Anything that wasn't useable or being used on a daily basis went in the trash. Mostly dead batteries and non-working pens and such the kids can't seem to put in the trash themselves :P. I can actually open the main drawer of the hutch and see exactly what I need instantly.

Then I went to the kitchen. I forgot to take before pics, but you can see the end result.

Somehow, when I moved into the house, I had the brilliant idea to put all my baking stuff up here: flour, sugar, etc. What was I thinking!?!? I am 5'3", and needed a step stool every darn time to get stuff down, because I couldn't reach. Now it is empty, and will probably stay that way. Short people and high cabinets don't mix. Instead I moved everything here:

This is one of the lower cabinets I have, that was FULL of junk! Baking pans I never used, lots of plastic storage containers I never used. I took most of it out and put all my baking stuff where it should have been to begin with...where I actually do my baking. That large jar on the bottom left is my baking soda, and behind the lemon juice are my 1 gallon jugs that hold sugar and flour. I buy 25lb bags at Wally World, and store them in plastic tubs in the garage. Then I just fill these up from there, keeping a good stock in the house. I love re-using jars, especially glass ones, to store stuff. On the top shelf there are old spaghetti sauce jars, holding corn meal. It saves from flimsy bags breaking open, or moisture getting into them.

This is the other side of that cabinet on the bottom...yep, one of those "lose things in the abyss" type corner cabinets. Yuck! With the bare minimum of baking pans that I actually use in there, there is so much room! I can get to both crockpots, and the electric frying pan without emptying half the cabinet.

So what happened to everything that was in here you ask?

Take a gander:

Two good sized boxes filled to the brim. Ready to go to the Salvation Army this afternoon. There are some Christmas odds and ends in there too, along with some dust collecting trinkets from the dining room hutch.

I don't have photos of it, but I also cleaned out my movies, some books, and both hall closets. I am on a tear...hope it keeps up!!

Happy de-cluttering!!

10 comments:

  1. You just wore me out reading about all your hard work...good for you. Now, I need to get busy too. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow, Everyone, stand out of this woman's way!! You got a tremendous amount of cleaning and decluttering done today! Doesn't it feel good? I'm 5'3" also and am finding with the increased cabinet space in my new kitchen, I have top shelves that are EMPTY! I don't miss dragging a stool or chair around with me at all.

    What an example you're setting for all of us. And it's not even the first of the year for getting going on New Year's resolutions. You're going to be waaaay ahead of most of us come January 1st!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Stephen:) Wore myself out too lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously have no idea where all the gumption came from Mama Pea! Glad it did though!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I am still stuck in last spring and you are already into next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that same mess ,still,I'm a hoarder ,I admit,hey I EVEN HAVE THAT SAME SQUARE PLASTIC CONTAINER YOU SAVED.AND THE CORNER CABINET ABYSS . WHO THE HECK INVENTED THAT? I'M 5FT. 1 INCH,AND WITH MY SHORT ARMS I HAVE TO HAVE ONE OF THE GRAND KIDS CLIMB IN THERE TO GET WHAT I NEED---LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank god my daughter is going home today so i can have my computer back,i never know who's logged in, me or her?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to be MDR:) I can't stand the clutter anymore lol. Funny thing is, most of my life I have been a packrat :P

    ReplyDelete

Followers