December 7, 2011

Rearranging, naps, and crocheting

About a week ago, my mother came over and helped Sam and I rearrange my bedroom. I had my bed right under the window on the south side of the house, which isn't horrible in the summer, but in the winter, it's cold. Despite the window having a good storm window, shade, and insulated drape on it. So we managed to move my bed to the inside wall, and completely rearrange the desk(s) and bureau. Still need to put some random stuff away, but it's not bad.

I have, nearly since day one of moving into this rental, wanted my tv/video game stuff on a long wall in the living room. Sadly, there was no drilled hole in the floor for the cable line on that wall, and the landlord didn't want any more holes drilled in the oak floors. Can't say as I blame them. Well, we shut the cable off a month ago, so the line is no longer an issue. We have an antenna that allows us to pick up about 5 channels (the tv has a built in digital tuner). Enter the new arrangement for the tv and all the kids video stuff:

At one time, I had 4 of these bookcases, purchased at Target a few years ago. They are not the most sturdy, since after a move, two of them fell apart. Enter my drill and a few screws. I used the top from one of the broken ones, with another shelf screwed to the top to extend it enough to hold the tv, and you have a homemade entertainment area. Ideally I would rather hide the cables for the video games, but if I do that, then the kids will knock things down trying to swap out hook ups to the tv. For now it works. We don't use the fireplace since it eats up 10% of the gas in the tank with just an hour or so of running. Yeah, not exactly the most efficient thing on the planet. So I had no concerns about putting the bookcases so close to it.

I don't have a photo of the rest of the living room at the moment, but basically the couches ended up in an L-shape set up again, with the longer couch in front of the bay window. Normally I don't like to do this because it blocks the heaters, but since we are using small ceramic electric heaters to eek out as much as we can of the propane for cooking and hot water, this isn't an issue. Even after I switch gas companies, we will keep using the electric heaters. Normally I wouldn't consider this, since we have the 2nd highest electric rates in the country, but with my fuel assistance I get a considerable discount, so it is much more reasonable to do. Also, here in NH, electric is the only heat based utility that is protected from shut off in the winter months by the state. From October 15th-April 15th, no matter your balance, they cannot shut off your electric. This, unfortunately, doesn't apply to propane or oil. In both of those instances, they can refuse to deliver, or even lock your tanks off. NH needs to adopt the rules that the state of Maine have, that covers those two sources of heat as well, to protect people.

It feels good to get some stuff done around the house after weeks of feeling less than stellar. The temps have been unreasonably warm the last few weeks, but we are about to head into more normal 30-40's tonight, and into the weekend. We are supposed to get a bit of a slushy mix overnight too, which should make tomorrow a nice mess. One thing that has bugged me for awhile is that I need a nap nearly every day. Doesn't matter if I go to bed at 8pm or midnight...I hit a brick wall about 1pm every afternoon. Sometimes I am just exhausted, sometimes I need to give the shoulder a rest, and get the weight off it. But at 45, I don't feel so bad after witnessing this yesterday:

That would be my 16 year old son, Joe. It was taken yesterday afternoon, about 4pm. He sat down after coming home from school, and that was it, he was out. LOL. I guess if naps are ok for 16 year olds, then 45 year olds are allowed too. In his defense, he gets up right after I do every morning, at 5am. Then he has a 25 minute bus ride to the high school, two towns away. I remember that trek well, even though it's been 27 years since I graduated.

I am puttering on some crocheting, but I wanted to show you the master....My mom! She taught me to crochet when I was 8, and over the years has helped me more times than I can count, when I get stuck or just need inspiration. This is an afghan that she made in just a few weeks.

It's a granny square pattern, with a chain style border. The center area is a bit off in color due to my phone. It looks sort of peppermint like, but is actually a much darker maroon, dark brown, and dark beige. She didn't know who she wanted to give it to, and said as much in front of my daughter Sam, who jumped at the chance to have it. She picked it up yesterday, and as she put it..."The colors are kick *ss". Yep, that is my 19yo using that language. Sigh.......

Speaking of the daughter....she is itching to move out. Insert nerves, tears, stress, and worry here. I don't think I am ready for her to move out, even though she is. I know it's time...almost. I told her she needs to get past Christmas, and the temp job she has at Kohl's before considering it. She will have to find something at least part time, to replace that job. She can't move out, share an apartment with friends, and expect them to pay her share of the bills. She gets that, she is a smart cookie. And that is something that I am facing, that millions of mothers have faced before me.....she is smart, she listened well when I tried to teach her right from wrong. Now I have to sit back and let her start her life as an adult. WAHHHHH, I'm not ready!! LOL!

Hope you all have a fabulous day! I'm off to finish cleaning up my mess in the dining room from the reorganization, and find a science experiment for the homeschool day tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. Good post! Life. The ups, the downs and all in between. The pictures are great to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mama Pea!! Yep, life is interesting for sure lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Son with a drivers license, daughter ready to move out......I can't handle my 3 year old wanting to go to grandma's house without "missing" me, how am I going to handle a teenager?
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Carolyn! I felt the same way when they were little and my friend's kids were older. It doesn't get easier, I won't lie...you just get through it:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy you being able to get your house orderly. I feel I have a while to wait with the kitchen remodel going on. Good idea about moving the bed away from the window. Every little bit helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a daughter longing to move out of the nest and it is about to kill me! My children are so close in age, once it starts they will all be gone before I know it!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, but you have an advantage I don't Leigh:) You can actually move walls and such lol. I can just move furniture being in a rental. But I understand what you mean, I grew up with a house that was in perpetual construction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply Scaife, I hear you!! My boys are 16 and 14 (on Friday)...it won't be long and it will be just me :(

    ReplyDelete

Followers