December 10, 2011

Turning 14


My "baby" Tom turned 14 yesterday. Where in the world did the time go? In honor of his milestone, I thought I would share some tidbits about him:

-He thinks he is the comedian of the family. Sometimes he is extremely funny with the things he says or does, and sometimes he is just annoying (he hasn't learned that fine line of when to stop yet...much to his older brother and sister's dislike).

-He is all about animals. Whether it is a dinosaur, or cats and dogs...and everything in between. This is his passion, and he knows more about animals than anyone I have ever met. He is constantly researching all on his own, those that interest him. Case in point: some creature that he heard about online this week, and he spent the better part of the day researching it. I can't remember the name of it, but apparently it is one of the few animals that is actually native to Australia and Tasmania. It was believed to be extinct, but has been sighted recently. In the 1/2 hour conversation, I learned about the climates and topography of both areas, along with more than I ever wanted to know about this particular critter.

-Despite loving animals, I am not sure he will be a hunter like his dad. He is not big on exercise, despite my kicking him outside all the time. He went hunting with dad this year, and while he had a good time, I heard a lot about how much he hated trekking through the woods for hours on end. Who knows, he loves hunting, maybe he would rather just be the guy on stand.

-He hates school work (ie: book work), but loves to learn. Perfect kiddo for homeschooling.

-He loves computers (using them), video games, and tv.

-He dislikes to read unless it is something funny like Captain Underpants or Diary of a Whimpy kid.

-He is ALL BOY, being the first to laugh at bodily functions, playing in the dirt (mud and water are his friends), creating gross science experiments.

-He is the one kid that seems to follow my passion for homesteading the most. He loves to be out in the garden, and can't wait till we get critters. I could totally see him following this as his way of life.

-Because of his love for animals, could also see him working either in Fish and Game, or as an animal rescue person. He is very vocal about the mistreatment of animals.

-He is becoming very creative with Legos. He didn't get into them at a young age like his older brother, but in the last year has really found a love for them. Joe builds buildings and working contraptions. Tom creates animals, or sci-fi like creatures. He prefers bionicles to actual lego bricks. Although he does mix and match them.

-He loves to draw, and is very good at it.

-He wishes he was closer to his dad, but their different personalities make it hard. He is more sensitive than dad likes.

-He is officially taller than me now. That makes me the midget of my house again. All 3 kids are taller than me.

-He is a junk food junkie.

-He is finally learning that eating new things isn't all that horrible. He will eat more than bologna, spaghetti, and mac-n-cheese now. I still can't get him to eat any other vegetable than corn though.

-He is one smart cookie, and I am honored to call him son!

Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet and loving tribute to your son. Sounds like he's on the right path to me. With all of his attributes I wouldn't worry about where he's going to end up! (Good job, Mom!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Happy Birthday! Wishing you bountiful blessings and precious memories on this special day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Simply Scaife:) I will pass it on to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A belated happy birthday to Tom! Sounds like a great kid. Has he read James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small? All about the real life of a country vet in the 1930s through 50s. Maybe veterinary would be a career option. Heavens knows we need more vets geared toward small farm and homestead animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Leigh:) He hasn't read the books yet, but they are on our list for this year. He has seen the tv show that PBS used to show, based on the books.

    ReplyDelete

Followers