January 27, 2012

Friday Fun


Before I talk about anything else, I have to take a moment to thank everyone who commented on my post yesterday.  I am a bit of a recluse, not having many friends.  This is sort of by choice, and sort of by way of being a bit different than most.  I don't get into drama in any way, and so I don't have a lot of patience for people who have lots of it in their lives.  I have a couple people that I am close to, and my family.  To have my online family, who encourages me, cheers me on, and supports me when I am feeling "funky" is such a blessing.  People who think much like I do, help me by providing advice from their experiences, and just all around loving support.  THANK YOU!!!!!  You have no idea how much it truly means to me :)

And, an update from yesterday's post....I got my W-2 in the mail and was able to file my taxes online.  I used the free efile from the IRS.  There was one glitch, which I hope is corrected.  On their EIC form, you have to list your qualifying children.  Problem is, the 2nd child section is messed up, and doesn't give you separate boxes for first and last name.  They rejected my return lol.  So when correcting it, I tried to cram my son's full name in the one small box there.  If they reject it again, I will be calling to explain the issue.  I also typed the date yesterday wrong, putting 2011 instead of 2012 on the electronic signature page lol.  Leave it to me.  I double checked everything but that.

I am also going down to the garage this weekend and checking out vehicle #2 option.  If it is the one I saw out in front of the garage yesterday when I drove by though, it may not be an option.  It looks like someone put a lift kit in it.  I am 5'3" for goodness sake!  I have to hold onto the steering wheel of my current vehicle to help pull myself up and in the driver's seat.  This blazer (vehicle #2) looks like it is a couple feet off the ground.  I would need a step ladder lol.  But I will go look at it first, before I make a decision. I am still leaning towards fixing my own truck though. As Mama Pea pointed out yesterday, I already know what I have, coupled with the fact that I have nearly $800 invested into it already....I really don't want to get rid of it if I don't have to.
This morning started out messy with some freezing rain on top of the couple of inches of snow we got last night.  It has changed to straight rain since I got up, but Joe still has a 2 hour delay for school.  I'm glad it's not going to last, and that we will get back up in the 40's today.  This whole next week is going to be between the mid 30's to mid 40's. I can handle that, after the couple of weeks of brutal cold we had at the beginning of the month.

I had plans yesterday to get a bunch of house cleaning done, but it didn't work out that way.  Grocery shopping, then a couple hours of doing taxes (they seriously shouldn't be that hard), and then taking my daughter to her boyfriend's pretty much ate up the day.  I did try to get some crocheting in last night while watching a movie on Netflix....Some one else had other ideas....

That is the afghan I am making for a friend who requested it, and is more than happy to pay for me to make it for him.  Tig looks way too comfy lol.  He has decided that if he wants attention, you will not get away from giving it to him.  He is cute, but training is in progress....I require being able to breathe at night when I sleep.  The night before last, I kept waking up because he insisted on sleeping on my face, across my nose and mouth.  So, for about the billionth time, I turned my head to the side.  He slid off, landing on my shoulder....and proceeded to climb back up and curled up on my cheek and eye.  I guess he felt that was satisfactory, and so did I, because I conked back out.  He definitely needs to learn some manners, especially in the sleeping department.

I thought I would share some things I have seen online this week, that you might also find interesting.

My friend Laurie, over at Common Sense Homesteading has a great new series starting on canning.  You can go to see the first post here.  She is so great at giving detailed explanations on all the topics she covers.  Definitely one of my favorite blogs to follow.

This is good to know for when the power goes out....My gas stove has electronic ignition, so when the power goes out, I cannot use the oven, but can use the stove top by lighting it with a match.

I found a new blog to follow, with absolutely gorgeous photos of their farm, and she shares crafty goodness too, which speaks to my heart on both points.  Go visit Wabi-Sabi Wanderings, you won't regret it.

For a long time, my son Joe has wanted to build a trailer that he can add to his bike, for hauling things around.  A friend on Facebook shared this link yesterday, and of course I had to share it with him.  How cool are these!

And last but not least, go visit Merlyn over here and see how he designed this stove:


  

My only modification to this would be to make the lower opening the actual firebox, making the upper opening an actual oven.  It would require putting some sort of rack/shelf inside, so that your pan doesn't get the full force of the fire.  But very clever!  He shares a lot of what he does for living off grid, in his articles he writes for Examiner.com.  Make sure you take some time to check out his past posts.

And yes, I am playing with the layout of the blog:)  I really  like this one, but am still searching for a solution to why my header photo is not centering.  Seems there are as many answers out there, as there are blogs.  May have to break down and send a specific email to Blogger help, to see if they can help me resolve the issue.

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Wow - so much information! I do have to say that perhaps Tig needs his/her own afghan? I mean...the little cutie looks so very comfy there.... :)

    It is fun to play with the layout of the blog. And as far as things not centering, I've found that sometimes you just have to try again later. Blogger sometimes gets confused when you ask it to do too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the drama part. Drives me crazy. Glad your day looked up. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing after I wrote this post Mama Tea:) Maybe a royal cat bed is in order:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you need to crochet Tig his own bed. Looks like he found a great spot to take a nap. At least it's better for you. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding your blog header photo, you still have a Homestead Dream, it's just not coffee-laced anymore! Lots of interesting new sites to check out. (Just what I need to do . . . spend more time at the computer! ;o]) The new kitty could hardly be cuter. Please keep us updated on the truck scene. Hope you got things straightened out with the tax return. Why is that ALWAYS such a hassle??

      Delete
  5. Mama Pea, are you not seeing the Caffeinated part? It shows when I look at it. What browser do you use? LOL about the sites I shared, I have spent way too much time on the computer, can ya tell. I just want to enable everyone else! LOL!
    I will keep you updated on things. :) Thanks for always being a kind heart, listening and offering advice.......it is greatly appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On your taxes we use turbo tax online. Any fees are taking from your return. We have our money back already. Check it out. We always file early.

    ReplyDelete

Followers