January 15, 2012

Making a Rug

Recently while on Pinterest, I found a link explaining how to crochet around rope (or jute) to make a basket. You can see the post here.



I got thinking about this, and thought it would be the perfect way to make a sturdy, well shaped rug. So I have been playing around with it a bit, trying to figure it out since there are no directions.

This is what I consider the underside. I didn't want to crochet too close to the end, in case my stitches slipped off. Going to have to play with it, maybe stitch the end down in some way after I shorten it. Not sure yet.


And this would be the right side. I love the way it feels nice and sturdy. I think it would hold up very well, and being that the rope is covered in yarn, even if spots should wear out, it would be easy enough to fix it with some newer yarn.

Like I said, this is a practice piece. I would love to make one with more of a rag look to it. I have a bunch of partial balls of yarn in the basement that would work perfectly.

If you have any suggestions for how to deal with the beginning of the yarn rug (the "tail"), I would love to hear them.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I do like the looks of the rug so far. But have no suggestions as to what to do with the "tail." But I have a feeling I may be thinking about it sometime in the middle of the night tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mama Pea:) Make sure you write down those midnight ideas lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you make the start of the crochet a solid tube with an enclosed bottom? Trim the cordage, possibly burning it some to keep it from raveling, and stuff it into the pocket you've already got crocheted, then proceed as usual? I can't really see the pattern from your pics. Good luck. tea4too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of the burning option too tea4tooO but it doesn't work with cotton rope. I also tried some Gorilla glue on the end, no luck. I did eventually try something different, I will post a picture later today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that is a good idea! Seems pintrist is the place to get all these good ideas. So far, I'm resisting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it is a good place to get ideas, but it can be addicting Leigh lol

    ReplyDelete

Followers