January 30, 2012

On The Hook

I have been busy crocheting away, working on getting an afghan done for a childhood friend, who is going to pay me for my work (always a plus!).

He requested something that could be used both for snuggling on the couch, or used on the bed.  I didn't want to make it too large, as it will be too bulky, so am going for a bit larger than a lap throw, but just smaller than a twin bed size....clear as mud?

This is a super simple stitch, but produces a great looking pattern.  Your chain stitch is an even number +2.  You half double crochet in the 2nd stitch from the beginning, single crochet, and continue this pattern for the entire first row, ending with a half double.  On the second row, and all rows after that, you will chain 1 on your turn, half double crochet in first opening (the previous rows stitches leave a gap between the hdc, this is where you work your next rows stitches), single crochet, repeat across.

I had to actually start this over, after having a good foot of it completed.  At first, I decided to do 3 rows of each color.  Unfortunately, that left me with a TON of tails that would have had to be worked in at the end, and I hate that part of crocheting.  So, I decided to go with an even number of rows (4).  By doing this, rather than having to cut my yarn because I was ending each color on opposite ends, I am always ending on one side before switching to the next color.  This lets me carry that color up the side, without cutting (and dealing with tails). 

These carry overs will then be hidden by the border that will be put on once it is complete.  It makes it so much easier, although every once in awhile, because of how I tend to turn the piece to work the next row, my two working yarns have gotten tangled.  Easy fix....just untangle by the skein end of the yarn.  Should be able to finish this up in the next week or so.  It's one of those projects that is one that I don't have to think about because the stitch is so simple, but gives you such a beautiful afghan when you are done.

In working on this requested project, I have set the rug aside for a little bit, but wanted to give you a sneak preview of the next color (I know Mama Pea was wondering).  I like this variegated that I bought eons ago, and I only have 2 small balls of it, but it works.  I also picked up some solids and one more variegated to use, all involving the blue/tan shades.

It seems to curl a bit on the row you are working on, but once you add the next row, it settles down.  I also think when I am done, I will have to block it to make it sure it lays flat as it should.  I do know that the 100ft package of rope I bought will not be long enough.  I am thinking when I get the next package, I will have to stitch the two ends together with some thread, to continue on.  If this turns out well, and I plan to make more, I will look online for a source for a longer length package of rope.


Hope you enjoyed the peak into what I have been working on.

 

12 comments:

  1. Nice sneak peek! I love to see what people are working on. My kids always laugh when I get so far in a project and rip it out because I think of a different way it could look better.

    WAHOO to getting paid for something you make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors you're using for the commissioned afghan. Very rich and masculine but could certainly be used by anyone in any room. Please be sure to post a picture of the finished piece before you give it to your friend.

    Fun to see how your rug is progressing. I love the . . . "neat" is the only word I can think of . . . the neat look of it. Also sturdy. You've already used 100' of rope??! Who woulda thunk it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mama Tea:) Yeah my kids laughed at me too, except for my daughter, who is learning to crochet, so understands lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mama Pea :) Those are the colors he requested, and I was happy to oblige. I will definitely post a pic when done.

    I haven't used all 100 ft of the rope yet, maybe about 50ft or so, but I want it to be a good sized rug, so yes, I will need at least one more package I think. I will keep you updated on it and let you know how much I actually used for the finished size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog via the Homstead Barn Hop. I'm more of a knitter, but I do like to crochet, too :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, you and Mama Pea are talking in words I do not understand!? "HALF DOUBLE CROCHET"? "SINGLE CROCHET"? "CHAIN STITCH"? "CHAIN ONE ON YOUR TURN"? OMG! What does that all mean? And how do you keep it all straight?
    Mama Pea said "That if I can learn to run a Scroll Saw and not loose a finger, I can learn to do this" My responce....There are no power tools involved in this!
    I did learn one thing..... I can spell C R O C H E T now!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by Heather:) I am just learning to knit myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL Tom!! At least you can't cut your fingers off with a crochet hook, which is probably what I would do with a scroll saw. I love power tools and am not afraid of them, but am a super klutz!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The afghan is going to be Great! Thanks for the rug pic. How did you solve the begining?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terry, I decided to overlap the rope in a circle, probably for about 3 inches or so, and just crocheted over it. It was tricky keeping the circle small enough, although I could tighten it a bit by pulling the working end of the yarn. I think it worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love stripes. And that looks so wonderfully masculine.

    I would love to try Mama Pea's tutorial, but Dan really doesn't like that style of rug! :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leigh, what about trying out a smaller version, to use as hot pads on your new countertops? You would still get to try it out:)

    ReplyDelete

Followers