January 17, 2012

Routines



Ok, another confession here..........I do not like housework. *GASP*!! Isn't every woman supposed to love caring for her home?? Not necessarily. I love when my home looks nice, but I am not anal about housekeeping. Our house has a "lived in" look, and I am ok with that. Have you ever lived in a house full of teens?? "Lived in" is about as neat as it stays for more than an hour, especially if like you, they have a creative bent. There are always ongoing projects scattered on the coffee table, the dining table, and any other available spot.

But, I have not been on a routine for sometime in keeping it at least to a normal "lived in" look. Too often since I set my shoulder off in a tirade in August, I have let things slide. Waiting two days to do dishes, vacuuming when I feel like it, etc. I need to get my routine back. I am going bonkers!! Of course it doesn't help that in my recent decluttering spree, I keep cleaning out one area, only to leave a pile in another.

On thing I used to do each day, was to keep a running list of what needed to be done. Sometimes these things would carry over to another day because life happens, or there just wasn't time to get them done. But, it gave me a bullet point of things to get done. I tend to get sidetracked easily when I don't have a sort of loose schedule to follow.

So, back to the "to do" list. It might not be a perfect system, but it helps. Maybe I will feel more productive than I have. It also might allow me more time to do the things I want to, like working on that rug I mentioned the other day, or finally sitting down to learn how to use the sewing machine I bought almost a year ago.

How do you stay on track?

4 comments:

  1. How do I stay on track? With difficulty. I've found this much more so since hubby has been retired and home. Don't get me wrong; I love having him home and he's not demanding in the least. But there is always the times when he needs the extra hand or we take the time to discuss things. I do miss my "alone" time when he was gone during the day. A little. I concentrate much better when I'm by myself.

    I, too, am a list keeper. But am also good at avoiding things on the list I don't want to do. Sometimes I feel like I work all day long but transfer the same items to the next day's list all week long. I know I'm not a slough-off. Maybe we're trying to do too much?

    How's that for a not helpful answer??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought staying on track was a pipe dream. I don't think I have ever been caught up.
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I think I might be at least the Duchess of Procrastination Mama Pea:) I don't think it helps that despite getting up at 5am every morning, I am not a morning person when it comes to getting stuff done around the house. I think I can relate, at least partly, to what you are saying about hubby being retired. My mom is having that same issue. Although my father seems much more needy than your hubby lol. He drives her bonkers sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL MDR, it just might be at the rate I am going!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers