February 10, 2012

The Bridge and Stuff

We were super blessed when we got to Portsmouth the other day, to find a free parking spot at the Pierce Island boat launch.  To say it was packed down there is an understatement.  We walked out to Four Tree island to watch the happenings.  Sadly, not much happened. The bridge was raised for the last time, and just as we were leaving, they lowered it for the last time.  They never got the middle span completely disconnected and moved until  10:30 that night.  But this boy was super happy to be part of the "history"....


And speaking of history, just to give you an idea of how "landmark" this bridge was, here is a clip from 1923, when it was put into place:



And this boy was patient, and didn't complain once that it was freezing out with the breeze blowing off the water.  He found this spot to be warmer, since he was down below...
 After about an hour and a half of watching the tugs move a bit there, we headed to Staples for laptops.  Sadly, I ran into the same problem I knew I would have at Walmart....only one in stock.  But unlike Walmart, which would say "Sorry, nothing we can do", Staples had me pay for the 2nd laptop, and it will be delivered to my house today, no shipping charged.

It did cost me a bit more than I planned, because I had to get the 2 year service plan for each (which I had forgotten to include in my estimates), but it is worth it.  They will be protected if the boys drop them, spill something on them, etc.  They better not, but these are teen boys we are talking about lol.

So today will be spent waiting for the UPS/Fed Ex guy to show up with the 2nd laptop, and getting a full day of housework and homeschooling in.  I am hoping that they come fairly early so that I can also squeeze in a trip to the dump.

The weather is going to be amazing today, near 50.  I will not complain!  Tomorrow we are getting 3-6 inches of snow, and then for a couple days, dropping into the brutal range of temps.  I would much rather go to the dump today, when it is warmer and sunny, than to try and do it when it is snow, or cold.

Have a super day!

8 comments:

  1. At least you made it home in one piece.I have not heard good thing about extended warranty plan,hope things work out for you with them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not worried Judy, the one through Staples is fabulous. I got the same plan for my laptop, and they have fixed a few things (like a key that popped off). Usually have it back in a day, and no charge. If they cannot fix it, they will replace the entire laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 50 degrees-oh, that would feel heavenly right now.
    Congrats on the TWO new laptops. It will be worth it in the long run.
    Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool to see the bridge a last time and be part of history.
    How exciting to get new lap tops. Mine broke a while back, not surprising since I bought it in 2005 but I do miss it..I hope to be able to get a new one soon..
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sue:) It did feel heavenly, and I actually cracked a few windows to air the house out for a little bit. I will try to remember what it felt like when we drop down below zero tonight lol. Yes the 2 laptops will be worth it, and will last us a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo, yes! That is exactly why Joe wanted to go, to say he had been there on that day:) Love my dorky kids!!

    Being able to get the laptops is a G-dsend. The poor desktop was at least 10yrs old, slow as molasses and giving us the blue screen of death a LOT lately. I knew it was only a matter of time before it crashed.
    Hope you can get another laptop soon too! Check Staples, that is where I got the boy's, they were Toshiba, and $400 each.

    ReplyDelete

Followers