March 12, 2012

Ta-Dah!!

Before I get all cocky and proud about what I got accomplished yesterday, I need to make a confession.....Apparently the alarm clock and I had a difference of opinion today.  It wanted me up at 5am, I chose to wait until 7am.  Thus my 16 year old gets another day of hooky from school.  Gotta write a note for him to take tomorrow.  Sighhhhh.  A bit frustrating since I was up at the crack of dawn all weekend.

On to the garage:  We got it all done yesterday!  It was a good day outside, so I put the fish tank, 2 end tables and a cheapy desk out by the side of the road, and they were all gone within an hour.  Excellent results.  I will probably do the same with the 2 couches in the garage, once the chance of rain passes by Wednesday.  

I have a pile of broken furniture to take to my mother's and put on her burn pile, a pile of stuff to take to the dump for donation (we have an area to put it, where others can take what they want), and a small pile of scrap stuff for the metal pile at the dump.  It feels so good, to be able to move around in there again!

Here are the after photos:

The stuff under that inflatable canoe is two bags of trash going to the dump today, along with a bunch of empty boxes for packing.

Since I have the extra pair of hands today (my 16yo), we will work on cleaning up the basement today, making another pile of things to go away next weekend.  He also has a ton of whittling shavings on the floor that must be cleaned up.  I have been hounding him for over a month to do it, and he hasn't seen fit to get to it.  Today will be a perfect opportunity.

I have decided to get rid of most of the rugs I have, and my livingroom rug, an 11x14ft berber will be going to my mother this weekend.  While dad is in the hospital this weekend, we will be doing some spackle/taping and finally get her bedroom repainted.  It hasn't been done probably in 15 years.  The other rooms of the house always took a higher priority in their diy projects.  But she wants dad to have a comfy place to be, and in case we need to have visiting nurses or anything, she doesn't want them to see the mess.  So her old rug will go the way of the trash, and once we are done giving the room a facelift with paint, this rug will go there.  I will have the boys help me get it out of the livingroom today, and set it in the garage.  It is supposed to rain the next 2 days, so I will be steam cleaning it in the garage, that way I have room to move, and it will have plenty of time to dry before this weekend.

Hope you all have a productive week!!

12 comments:

  1. If there is one thing I hate most of all it is painting. I do not have the time to do it right. Almost like the tape and bedding of sheet rock. I do not like anything that makes me wait just to do it again. Some find it soothing but I find it frustrating.
    Good job on the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it a fantastic feeling to make that kind of progress? If only it would stay that way! (I blame the 2nd law of thermodynamics for why it doesn't :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, who knew you had a garage?? Nice job. !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW ,COME TO MY HOUSE AND THESE THESE GUYS CRACKING-YOU GOT A LOT DONE ,The PART ABOUT YOUR DAD'S ROOM REMINDS ME i MIGHT HAVE TO DO OURS ,BUT DON'T WANT TO THINK ABOUT HOSPICE.JERRY HAS A NURSE COME OUT BUT i DID THE WOUND CARE ALL WEEK-END,BY NOW I'M USED TO IT HAVING A SEVERE DIABETICS FOR A HUBBY ,GIVES YOU LOTS OF PRACTICE PLAYING NURSE. PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU THIS WEEK FOR YOUR DAD,KEEP THE FAITH

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say no school....work 'em hard LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate it too MDR, but want to help my mom as much as I can, and this is something she really wants to get done while dad is in the hospital, so paint I will lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes it is Leigh!!! Soon this will be containing boxes for our move this summer. Whether we have to stay in NH for a bit, or get to go to NC, I need to pack what I can now for when we give the place up in June.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear ya Judy, but it is a reality we might have to face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to paint! If we lived closer, I'd come paint for food somebody else (anybody else but me!) made for lunch!

    I just noticed you have a garage floor. (Hahahaha, such humor, huh?) You really did make big progress. As for today, I'll bet a certain 16 year old wishes he had gone to school!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mama Pea, I would cook you my mom's famous lasagna, chocolate cream pie, and anything else you would like, in exchange for painting assistance lol.

    And yes, by the time we were done today, the 16yo wished he went to school. Made him clean up his entire corner of the basement, moved the washer/dryer, and took the rug out of the livingroom. He definitely got a work out.

    ReplyDelete

Followers