April 13, 2012

Spring?

Yesterday I was out in the backyard, checking out the buds on the magnolia tree and apple trees....(side note: don't think the magnolia will be as pretty this year.  Some of the buds came out during our warm snap, and then it got cold, making them turn brown and shrivel).

I heard a bird singing/chattering and looked up to see this fellow....

He was obviously warning me, because just a few minutes later I saw a smaller version of him, just about 2 feet from my face on another branch.  She didn't sing/chatter, but just stared at me.  Then all of a sudden, the larger one shot down and went here:
 This is in the same tree, the green apple one.  I never knew there was a hole there.  The tree is apparently partially hollow, because he flew down in and we couldn't see him, but could hear him moving around.  I suspect they have a nest in there.

When I took these, the sun was shining an it didn't feel too bad out (mid 40's?).  Within an hour, the clouds rolled back in an we got a nice steady shower for an hour or so, with a touch of tiny hail mixed in here and there.  We have desperately needed rain, and they have promised showers every day this week, but this is the first time we actually saw anything.  Still not enough, we need a few good solid days of steady rain, but every bit helps with the brush fires breaking out.

Today is going to be in the low 60's, plenty of sunshine.  Good for getting some outside stuff done.  First on the agenda is getting rid of 2 weeks worth of trash, and various other things I have been decluttering around here.  I also want to get the weed block pulled up in the garden area and bagged to go to the dump.  With moving, I will not be doing a garden this year at all.

By Monday they are saying near 80, but it will last only a day, then work it's way back into the high 50's by the end of next week.  Wish the weather would make up it's mind.  Regardless, I need to get some stuff done.  Genealogy and the head cold have kept me stagnant and on the computer for the last week.  Must change that.

Happy Friday the 13th!!

6 comments:

  1. That looks like the perfect bird house LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bird looks very much like a Black Capped Chickadee. I didn't know they made their homes in tree holes like that though. Do you know if it was a Chickadee?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a chickadee Mama Pea, still trying to identify what kind though on enature. Will let you know when I find out:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is what I found:) http://animal.discovery.com/guides/wild-birds/a-c/black-capped-chickadee.html...this says they do make their homes in trees...who knew:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I JUST HUNG A NEW BIRD HOUSE THIS WEEK.I GOT IT AS A GIFT ,GUESS WHO MADE IT A HOME , MR. AND MRS CHICKADEE AND BABY ON BOARD ( I THINK) NOW I JUST HAVE TO GET SOME BIRD FEED FOR THE FEEDER I GOT TO ,DON'T HAVE A CLUE TO WHAT KIND TO GET

    ReplyDelete

Followers