May 9, 2012

Cleaning Routine

I am NOT a natural lover of housework.  I know there are some out there who are....those OCD types, but I am so far on the other end of the spectrum that it's not funny.


Yet, I seem to have developed a bit of a routine.  It's not perfect, but it get's the job done.  I thought I would share a few tips:


-Clean the bathroom right after getting ready in the morning.  Yes, even if you work outside the home.  It takes less than 5 minutes to wiped down the sink, toilet and mirror.  Those are the biggest culprits for collecting dirt and grim in my house.  The tub I do once a week, unless my son's have thrown muddy boots or some such thing in there.  If you honestly don't have that time in the morning routine, do those quick tasks at night, after getting ready for bed.


-I have mentioned it before...but using a swiffer with a clean pad on it, works wonderful for wiping down the bathroom ceiling after a shower.  We do not have an exhaust fan, so this quick thing really helps dry the bathroom.  We do have a window that we open while showering and leave open for at least half an hour after.


-I am horrible about doing dishes at night, after dinner.  I hate washing dishes to begin with, but I seem to be a "morning washer".  I would rather wash them in the a.m. after I have had my coffee.  To keep my kitchen so it doesn't look horrendous at night, I will place the pans in the oven for the night, making sure to put some water and soap in any that might need to soak.  My biggest way to keep the dishes from "crusting into concrete" overnight is to make sure everyone rinses them, prior to putting them on the counter.  Yeah, I know...I could avoid all this if I just did them after dinner, but it's not me, and I need to work with how I am.


-In the morning, I fill the sink with hot water and soap, toss in any glasses, and get them washed.  I let the silverware soak on the side, while I then wash the plates/bowls.  Then wash the silverware.  Pans are next.  Once I am done, I wash down all countertops, do an extra swipe of the stove (it is white and right next to the back door, so collects dust etc).  Then I pop out the broom and do a good sweeping.  Kitchen done.  Takes about 1/2 hour.  If I have to do a wet mop also, then that takes another 10 minutes.


-The livingroom is pretty easy, as is the dining room. The biggest issue is my boys picking up after themselves.  I refuse to do that.  They are old enough to know better.  I try to make sure they pick up their stuff each night before they go to bed, but sometimes I get sidetracked.  I usually start by wiping down any hard surfaces, then adjusting the covers on the couches, shaking out any dirt and cat hair as a I go.  Then the last step is sweeping.  Again, this whole thing is maybe 1/2 hour.


By coming up with this wonky morning routine, I am done my housecleaning for the most part, within an hour.  Yes, I have to do little putter jobs here and there during the day (something gets spilled, etc).  But it leaves me time in the rest of my day for other things.  Usually twice a year I do a really good deep clean, scrubbing walls and such.


What are your cleaning tips?

8 comments:

  1. I am not a cleaner either and have struggled with the routine of things. You seem to have a good flow of cleaning activity:) I try to clean as I go making my way through the house, but honestly, I'd rather be weeding my garden (smiles).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL there are tons of things I can think of that I would rather be doing lol.

      Delete
  2. Are you talking about me again?
    We like to call our OCD condition, CDO so the letters are in order. The main problem I am having is my ADD is messing up my OCD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha MDR! I was actually thinking of my step daughter in the OCD dept.

      Delete
  3. Who cleans with remodeling having been going on in the house for a year?? ;o}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are excused from this exercise Mama Pea :)

      Delete
  4. you took my routine! well,mine is close to that.and as far as shower ceilings go.... did I ever tell you about this shower we had once ,every-time you used it ,the smoke detector would go off---lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, I worked in a hotel that was like that. The exhaust fan in the bathrooms didn't work worth beans, and so people would open the bathroom door a bit...setting off the alarm just outside the door. They finally had to put up signs asking people not to do that.

      Delete

Followers