May 14, 2012

Computer Grief


Yesterday, without warning, the laptop started acting wonky.  It was taking too long to do most things, hanging up.  And then it would completely lock up.  I hadn't done a good backup in over a month (yeah, bad me), so I pulled out the external hard drive and did an emergency backup.  So glad I did!  I had tons of information for family history, homeschooling, and homesteading that I might have lost otherwise.

I tried scanning the computer, nothing came up.  I did a disk clean up and defrag.  But it still was acting up. Time for drastic measures...I took it back to factory specifications. That is one thing I love about Acer, it has that option built right into it, makes it easy peasy.

Sadly, this morning it is still not running right.  Twice since yesterday it has sent itself into ChkDsk, showing all kinds of errors on the hard drive.  I would say my hard drive is failing.  Wahhhhhhh.

Now this isn't stressing me out financially, since I was smart and bought the complete protection plan for 3 years from Staples when I bought the laptop.  And I am only about 1 1/2 yrs into it.  So, you know where we will be going today.  Yep, need to drop it off so they can fix it.

I suspect it will be as simple as a new hard drive, but since I am not their only customer, this means I probably won't get it back for a few days at least.  Wahhhhhhh.  LOL yes, I use my computer for everything.  I have my phone, that will allow me to get online and do stuff, but it's not the same.  And I have my son's laptop that I am borrowing at the moment, but it's not the same.  LOL pitiful aren't I?

Is it possible to be a redneck geek? I think it is, and if that is the case, that would describe me, and all 3 of my kiddos.  So if I am hit or miss on posts for the next week, you will know why....My computer is still in the "shop" and I didn't win the wrestling match with my son to use his :)

Have a great Monday!!

8 comments:

  1. We all will still be here, just a waiting for your happy face and bright smile to return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, computers. Sigh. They are so wonderful when they are behaving. A great, big pain in the patoot when they're acting up. Thanks for letting us know so we wouldn't worry if you went AWOL for a while. Good luck in getting a quick fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are a pain when they are acting up lol. Found out it is the hard drive, but they can't fix it there....I have to send it out, and it could take 10 business days to get it back. You know what that means...more like 2 weeks :/ But I am grateful that I didn't have to pay for it at least.

      Delete
  3. where do you find a picture that fits with every title ?,amazing but they are funny ones sometimes,I love this caption of Garfield--lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy I just do a search in Google Images to find what I am looking for.

      Delete
  4. At least you do a backup! Yes, it's possible to be a redneck geek :) Sadly, those machines have too short a life. I take it yours was still under warranty(?) What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, yes, I learned the hard way a couple years ago when I lost EVERYTHING! Sadly, I don't do it as often as I should lol. And yes, blessed beyond belief that the 3yr protection plan I bought was still in effect. Just waiting on the box to be sent to me, so I can send it out.

      Delete

Followers