May 22, 2012

Epic Fail To Salvation Army

Yesterday, I did a small load of stuff from the basement, to the local Salvation Army.  I went there, rather than Goodwill this time, because it saved me 10 extra miles in gas.  Wrong decision.

One of the items I brought to donate was a glider rocking chair that my ex had given to my daughter.  She would rather have the rocking chair that was her great grandmother's.  This glider rocker isn't in bad shape.  Could stand to have a few bolts tightened, but other than that, for free, not a bad deal.

As I got to Salvation Army, a young kid came from the trailer to take a look at what we had to donate.  He works for them, and apparently in his perceived "super powers" they have bestowed on him, seems to have let this all go to his head.  He refused the chair.  All due to a quarter size ding in one of the rockers.  I was flabbergasted.  And angry.

I have seen and shopped at this particular one for years.  I have seen the 50yr old furniture that they try to sell for way too much money.  Or the junk on the shelves that doesn't work (think small appliances, electronics).  

For a place that depends on donations to supply their store, to be that picky is beyond belief.  Someone would easily pay $5-$10 for that chair, ding and all.  Their "your stuff isn't good enough" attitude is really going to hurt them in the long run.  I may only be one customer/donator, but as they continue this practice, they will find their donations dropping off.

Salvation Army, epic fail!  And I will not be donating or buying from that particular store again.

7 comments:

  1. I think you most likely hit it right on the head when you described the worker who had let his "authority" go to his head. Sadly, in so many businesses these days, there is no one in charge with a vested interest in what is going on to make sure employees are doing their job . . . correctly. I truly wonder how some places stay in business as long as they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know ,I don't donate there but once in awhile i shop there ,they are going nutso on pricing

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have shopped at SL a couple of times. Everything was priced too high for used. never go there anymore. When we get moved back to MN I know of a local place that will get my biz over SA OR GW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from Mystic Mud - and I have to agree! I am flabbergasted by what they charge for the 70's era furniture they sell. $95 for an orange upholstered couch? $60 for mismatched, waterstained end tables? $65 for a bike that is a touch rusted and I could buy, assembled and brand new for $85 and will last me 10x as long? And that is just what I saw this past weekend at our local Salvation Army.

    When we work up a load of goods to donate we call the 1-800 number for the Lupus Foundation. There are pick ups just about everywhere in the US and they schedule a date, at your convenience, and take every single thing you put on the curb for them. Just make sure it is there at the appointed time and marked "Lupus" for them and they will take it. I cannot tell you the amount of stuff we have donated over the past two years, but it has been a god send not to have to load up the car and have our stuff "judged", not to mention the gas to drive, to get rid of all of the clothes and household goods we needed to give away. I am not kidding when I say they will take it all - they almost took our recycle bin [that hadn't been picked up yet] by accident. Bless 'em.

    I think you can Google it to find the number. Save yourself the gas money and the heartache and try it. It might work out. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip SkippyMom! I will get in touch with them.

      Delete
  5. I thought of another thing they do-all these charitable places that pick up--they tell you they are sending it over sees ,what they don't tell you .is they sell you back our same crap ,only crappier ,haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sad. My DH gave SA an epic fail years ago, when a buddy had no job, major medical bills, and lost his home to fire. He had done some volunteer work at SA, so they refused to help him based on "affiliation." Pathetic if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete

Followers