May 30, 2012

Never Ending Furniture

It's amazing, when you think about it...how much furniture you have in your house.  And you really think about it when you have to ditch it all.

Now, I have promised the boys that I will not require them to sit on the floor for the last 3 weeks we are here, but really, if I could ditch it all today, I would lol.  We are in "limbo" on some furniture as my step-daughter tries to find someone to come up with a truck to pick up some of it.  I won't do it for her, I have too much on my plate. Not to be mean, but she needs to figure this one out for herself.

Today's plan is to tackle Tom's half of the bedroom.  I am praying it goes smoothly.  There are some things I know he won't part with, and I wouldn't ask him to.  But honestly, how many of those $1 dinosaurs from Walmart does one kid need?  And he only uses them once or twice a year, because he is nearly 15 and he doesn't "play" like he did when he was 8.  I am going to try and talk him into keeping just those that are in the best shape, and his favorite.  That might cut the pile in half.

It's also supposed to be nice today, with a chance of a shower late in the day, so we will be putting this stuff at the side of the road, with the hopes that it goes fast.


Don't judge...yes the bureau is backwards, and yes, I was too lazy to turn it around for this picture.  It's early and I have only had one cup of coffee.

I have a "funny" for you.  I posted this picture on Facebook yesterday, with a request for the best way to pack them:


A non-homeschooling mom asked me what the heck I was doing with all these bones?!  And why would I want to save them?

These are Tom's.  He is fascinated with skeletons of animals.  And it creates great learning experiences for him, because he then goes online to search out which animal they probably came from.  Not my thing, but I never judge my kid's passions, unless they are dangerous (or just plain weird, on our "weird scale", not society's).

I couldn't stop laughing when I read her post, because I could just see her face when she saw the picture.  All the homeschooling moms just tossed out various ideas for packing them, along with kudos for a great collection.  They didn't blink an eye.  Gosh I love being a homeschooler!

Ok, time for more coffee!! Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Is that what those were ,honestly I was so busy baking I did not look closely but I see a hoarder in the future or maybe its a form of security blanket ,yes ,even at his age.I still have keepsakes from when I was a kid.absolutely no rhyme or reason to them,just that they are mine all mine ,when your growing up in a house with 14 children,you treasure everything you can hold onto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya Judy:) I have some things from when I was growing up, but not as much as I used to. Some things, I wish I had saved, and didn't. Oh well :)

      Delete
  2. If you put your "curb stuff" out around here, it would be gone within the hour! That looks like good, usable furniture. There are always people looking for dressers especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Pea, we have been having really good luck. Some stuff went in 1/2 an hour. Yesterday we put a bureau out, and in a few hours while we were gone, it was too :)

      Delete
  3. About those bones.... one thing I finally realized as a homeschooling mom was that when my kids were motivated, they were excited about learning. When they weren't motivated, it was like pulling dragon's teeth. I learned to grab on to whatever grabbed their interest and encourage that. More got done in all subjects that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Leigh, especially with a kid who struggles to learn.

      Delete

Followers