June 4, 2012

I Took Advantage

Of the rain that is.  Yesterday was another wet one, and my tummy wasn't feeling so hot, so I stayed in my jammies all day and read a book.  First time I have done that in years, read an entire book (300+ pages) in one day.  Usually I sneak in 5-10 minutes here and there, and it can take me a month or better to get through a book.

I don't know if it is my love for genealogy, my love for history, or a combination of both...but I love reading "diary" type books.  "Letters of a Woman Homesteader" was fabulous and I loved her no-nonsense style of describing things, places, and especially people.

Yesterday I read "One Year of My Life: Eleanor Winthrop's Diary for 1869".  Yep, all 300+ pages, on my Android phone lol.  I snuggled under the covers, had the tv on for background noise, and just went for it.  It was a really good book!  It was interesting to see this young woman (I would guess, about 18, maybe a tad younger), mature as the story unfolds in this year...from being a bit on the materialistic side (although frugally so), to giving everything up to marry the man she loves and end up being a missionary's wife in Syria.  That is where the story leaves off, with her leaving for her new life.  I would love to know how she did, off in the "wilds with heathens".

Today is raining again (they say it will clear out by Thursday...sure hope so, we are at about 5-6 inches since Friday).  Need to take mom up for the license again, and then I will putter around the house.  I need to get Joe's bed apart.  He took Tom's apart for me Saturday, but he never quite got to his own.  I adore this analytical thinking young man, watching him and how he sees the world, but if you need him to do anything on a time table, you must allow for extra time.  He is always slow as molasses.  In that, he is definitely related to my ex mother in law, his grandmother.

No kidding, the whole time my ex and I were together, and even today (although she knows about it now), whenever we have a get together, I tell her it is for an hour earlier than everyone else.  Why?  Because some how, she always ends up an hour late for everything.  Always has.  So by changing the time, in her head she thinks she is on time, we know she is, and no one has to wait an hour for her to show up.  Yes, a tad mean and manipulative, but she thought it was funny, when I finally confessed last year.



Ok, hope you all have a super Monday, and if you see me floating by, wave hello and toss me some coffee :)

10 comments:

  1. 300 pages I wish I could do that now. I have downloaded over 40 books this past week. I have read one about 10 pages and 13 chapters on another. In all fairness some are cooking books for the family, 5.

    Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very rare thing these days for me to read that much at one time Rob. But I always have at least 2 or 3 going at once too.

      Delete
  2. My daughter has a copy of "Letters of a Woman Homesteader" and read parts of it one night during our Family Reading Night.

    You gave me a chuckle with your ending delightful drawing and request for some coffee as you float by. Will a lovely latte do?? Hot or cold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the "Letters of a Woman Homesteader"! I wish there were more from her.

      I think a hot coffee in any form is heaven:) Glad I could make you chuckle today :)

      Delete
  3. I am always late for things... I think I should tell people to start giving me a false time to show up like you did for your ex-inlaw. I would love to be on time for once. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prairie Cat - not a bad idea, or do it for yourself. I always make sure that I write down doctor's appointments and such for 15 minutes earlier than they are, that way I know that I will be on time.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the book recommendations. Sounds like you and I like to read some of the same things. Sorry you had to be sick to read them though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were both really good Leigh, I think you will like them!

      Delete
  5. I have just recently found your blog, but I wanted to say a big thank you for posting about the books have read. I read the Letters of a Woman Homesteader. It really was interesting to read. Thanks again for sharing, I think I will check out the other book now.
    Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete

Followers