August 5, 2012

Sunday Thoughts

We were planning to check out a church this morning, but it seems that when I set my alarm on my phone, I forgot to tell it to go off.  Ahhh well, there is always next week.

So the agenda for today is to run to the storage unit and drop some stuff off.  The neighbor downstairs (not the one I bought the furniture from), has some totes stored here in my aunt's apartment in the room I am using.  I cleared it with her, to put them in our storage unit, so I can have more space in the room.  We will grab our whiteboard for schooling, and maybe a few other things.

I am about 75% done reading "Surviving Off Grid" by Michael Bunker.  I was blessed to get it for free on Amazon for the Kindle app on my phone awhile back.  Here are a couple of my thoughts:

(A) He does a great job of presenting historical references and such for his points of view.  A little too good actually, as I have found myself, after I get the basic gist of what he is saying, and his reasoning for backing it up....I am skipping quite a few pages.  I understand why he did this, for those who don't know the history, but for me, it was a bit too much.

(B) He does a great job of laying out why things like battery operated tools and such are only a temporary measure towards off grid living.  This is one thing I have always had an issue with when I read blogs on this subject.  Yes that Berkley water system is gorgeous (although way over priced), but what will you do if you cannot get filters for it anymore?  Do you know how to make your water safe to drink if you can't buy supplies outside your homestead???  Just seems common sense to me, but not for many I guess.

Overall I am enjoying the book.  I don't get to read as often as I would like, so it's taken me the better part of 2 months to get through it, with bits of reading for 10 minutes here and there.  He asks some very thoughtful questions that anyone thinking of having their own homestead really needs to ponder.

Ok, off to eat some oatmeal, get dressed and get busy

4 comments:

  1. I GUESS I'D DIE OF THIRST ,I DON'T KNOW HOW TO CLEAN BAD WATER?WHEN DO YOU START LOOKING FOR A ABANDONED FARM OR FARM LAND? JK- I KNOW IT TAKES TIME TO SORT THINGS OUT,I'M JUST SO IMPATIENT TO SEE YOU GET STARTED

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, love ya Judy! I am looking now, but can't actually do anything till spring. Have some stuff on my credit report I need to clear up.

      Delete
  2. I'm back online and trying to get caught up. :) I used to visit Michael Bunker's blog (which I'm not sure he even has anymore) and have been curious about this book. Good thoughts on it and sounds like he's addressing things most folks don't even think of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he really does ask some great questions....really makes you reconsider what you think. A bit dry in places, but I am still glad I read it. So glad to see you back online!!

      Delete

Followers