September 29, 2012

It Almost Did Us In

Yesterday, our neighbor who is moving, was ready for us to take the couch and two chairs we bought off her.  Joe and I got them into our storage unit fairly easily.  Then came the computer armoire.

She originally offered me this piece back when I bought the living room set, but I said no, because she wanted $175 for it.  It is definitely worth it, it's a solidly built armoire, not made of fiber board.  But I just couldn't afford it.

Fast forward a month, and she still didn't have a taker for it, and she really needed to get rid of it.  She sold it to me for $100, and is willing to work with me on paying her (ie: a little bit here and there over the course of the month).  Yesterday it was time to get it upstairs.  I knew it was heavy, but didn't realize how heavy............It nearly did in my son Joe, myself, and our other neighbor Charlie.  I owe Charlie a HUGE favor for this one!!! :)


Joe and I were on the top half, using a strap wrapped around it, to pull up (yes, I only used my good arm), and Charlie was on the bottom lifting. Even with three of us, it was a chore and a half to go up the stairs.

But it was worth it!  I love it, and was able to put so much stuff in it.  Now our homeschool books are not falling on the floor because the plastic shelving won't hold them properly. And I can keep all my office supplies, laptop, printer, and genealogy stuff in here, close the doors when I need to, and it's hidden.






I can guarantee that we won't be asking Charlie for help when it's time to take it back down the stairs in the spring when we move though.  I wouldn't put him through that again lol.  We will make sure, when we do move, that we rent the appliance dolly to go with the Uhaul, so that we can strap it down and slide it down the stairs.  I'm only foolish once lol.

 

9 comments:

  1. Although going down gravity is your friend ;)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right Judy, as long as the people on top, don't let it slip and hit the person on the bottom LOL.

      Delete
  2. If I had something similar, I could re-purpose the little room we have set aside as an office - and the girls could each have their own room. Oh, well - it's good for them to learn to share. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Tina. The boys have always shared a room. I am praying I can find a place with enough bedrooms, that they can each have their own when we move.

      Delete
  3. BEAUTIFUL PIECE! I love the color.....it looks great! ENJOY!

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it ,Ive wanted one for so long,better I just get rid of a lot of unused junk,then to keep storing it ,like right now everything is pouring out of my closet onto my bed,no joke,Good deal too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wanted one for a long time too! The only down side is it doesn't have great file drawers, so I will still pick up a filing cabinet soon.

      Delete
  5. Someone once told me that a person who owns a sofa bed has to get a new set of friends for each move. I did not get the sofa bed. That's a great looking armoire. And, it is a fine price for solid wood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with that saying Practical!! LOL

      Delete

Followers