September 25, 2012

Rescue Mission

Since about the middle of August, we have been watching this little Momma cat, and her three babies, outside our apartment building.  The momma herself was too little from our view, to be having kittens, but nature is what it is.

About 6 days ago, just as we were getting heavy downpours, momma went missing.  Within a day or two, two of the kittens also went missing.  I think maybe some boys that were trying to catch them, succeeded.

Then Sunday morning, I was out having my morning coffee at 5:30am, and I heard a crying.  I looked down to see a tiny little kitten, trying to eat a McDonald's wrapper.  I went in the house and cut a few pieces of roast beef to toss down to it.  While it was eating, I went downstairs and snuck up behind it.  I couldn't leave that little baby out there alone.

She growled and tried to bite me once.  Then I snuggled her into my hoodie, and she quickly began purring and going to sleep.  She has slowly gotten more willing to come to me, although if I move too fast, she will still run and hide.  She needs to be taught that she doesn't have to fight for food, and she desperately needs to gain weight (her little back hipbones stick out and you can feel her spine).

So, I give you Peach





I wasn't planning on getting any critters until we get into a better place in the spring, but, I just couldn't leave her to starve.  Yes, I am a sucker for a cute face :)

My 14yo came up with her name, because she has a giant peach patch on the top of her head, along with some on her feet.  She is definitely enjoying the lovings she is getting, and slowly my aunt's cat is tolerating her.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, she (if she is truly a she) is too cute. I couldn't have left her anymore than I could have left my rescue at the Interstate Rest Area. Whom I immediately named Ristaria (get it? Rest Area), only to find out she's a he & got renamed to Rister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I love that name! And yes, just like you, I couldn't leave her.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful kitten, and a beautiful YOU for taking her in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww... she is sweet. I'm sure she will make a great addition. Sometimes the animals we seem to need come into our lives at unexpected moments.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job. We always watch our new cats for a name. Spooky is orange came in Oct. 2 yrs ago. Shadow is all dark grey, 18 months, and Bandit a little trouble maker dark/lite gray & black mix. Bandit is around 18 months also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad little Peach is with you. I know she'll have a wonderful home. Makes me sad to think what may have happened to the mother cat and other litter mates though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have seen Momma a few times, but not the other babies. Praying they found homes.

      Delete

Followers