October 2, 2012

Getting Healthy

I am NOT a health nut!  I hate exercise, and despise watching everything I eat.  There I said it.  But you know what I hate most?

The 50 or so pounds I have gained in the last year.  I am only 5'3", so this shows up horribly.  I have about 10 pairs of pants and many tops in storage that I cannot wear, thanks to that weight gain.

I can blame it on lots of things....stress, sitting for hours each day while my dad was going through cancer treatment, too much soda and Smarties, the bad shoulder, yada yada yada.....

Fact is, weight has been a constant struggle for me, just like most women.  I had a belly pooch before I even gave birth to a single kid.  Now, I will never run marathons, it's not anything I desire to do.  But I do desire to feel better, and that, in simple terms, is what it's about.

I will never be a size 2, and I am not looking to be.  As I have told people before....I am a 46 year old woman who has given birth to three kids, and had 3 surgeries in the belly area....I will always have that body.  Unfortunately for me, when I gain weight, the belly is the first place it goes.  And no amount of sit ups or other exercises will tighten that area up.  But, it doesn't have to be as bad as it is.  It's time to do something about it.

I already given up soda two weeks ago.  I have replaced it with carbonated water.  I love the water, and it is zero calories, as opposed to 240 for the soda.  I still haven't given up the Smarties, which I nibble all day long, but have cut back and will give them up soon.  

My biggest goal right now is to get out and walk.  Every day.  I hate it, but I need to.

I also will be begin doing yoga.  I cannot do high intensity workouts due to the shoulder.  Not an excuse, just a fact.  I have a great friend on Facebook, who has been sharing some videos with me, knowing my issues with the shoulder.  She is an inspiration for me, and while I may have to modify some moves, it will work my muscles, which I desperately need.  These are the two that I am starting with:



This particular one is great for the muscle spasms I get due to the CRPS.

And then this one:



I will keep you updated on my progress, as I need accountability.

12 comments:

  1. Good for you! Now I just need to follow your lead. I'm a chocolate-addict though, not so much smarties...although I do indulge in them once in a while. My favorite color is yellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I have pretty much gotten away from chocolate candy, but never turn down chocolate cake lol. When it comes to smarties, I like all colors lol

      Delete
  2. Good for you! I know there are people who swear by yoga (just not me) which is supposed to be excellent for your whole body. I think walking is fantastic . . . I just don't make time to do it on a regular basis. Do you have some kind of electronic device you could take with on your walks and listen to either music or audio books? That makes the time fly for me.

    We women sure do get hit below the belt (belly fat!) when it comes to putting on the weight in that one spot! I'm 5'3" also so I can relate as to how we munchkins can't carry around much extra weight. I, too, know I'll never look good in a bikini, but I sure do FEEL better when I'm not carrying around excess poundage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may not be coordinated for the yoga, but going to give it a try :) My next post may be how I fell over, clocked my head on the new armoire, and ended up in the emergency room LOL!

      I agree, us little ones especially, seem to get it bad. :)

      Delete
  3. Getting started is the most difficult part- that and getting started again once you stop. :)
    At sme point the endorphines will kick in and you will actually WANT to go on that walk - promise. It will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The internet is a wonderful place to find encouragement for this! I love your determination and your commitment. I read something recently on obesogens, chemicals our bodies absorb from plastics and food additives. You might want to research that, it may help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the head's up Leigh, will definitely check it out.

      Delete
  5. I just started a new healthy eating plan - and getting back to my workout routine - this week as well. I had been doing really well in spring/summer 2011 - was almost at my goal - and then I let a stupid stress freak me out and had spent most of the time since then eating too much and exercising too little. So now, instead of having 15 pounds to my goal, I know have 35. Ugh. But a local friend is helping me to be accountable and gave me suggestions for a do-able eating plan for me (high protein, very low carb but not very hard to figure out and not terribly expensive). And I lost 4.6 pounds this week! So I will pray for you on your journey whenever I see your FB posts - which, as you know, is very often. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers Tina! :) Keep up the good work!!

      Delete
  6. Yeah Stephanie! I'm glad you're getting started on being healthy..I confess, I gained A LOT of weight this last year after we moved to California. Sigh, it is hard to get started but I promise, after a couple of weeks it feels really good. Just stick with it..

    For the first weeks I just walked because I was so out of shape..I have now incorporated swimming and little bit of running..I started a new blog documenting my weight loss journey and I would love for others in the same boat to join me and share their experiences..

    http://www.getwellwithjo.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! Looking forward to feeling better :) Would love to share, will check out the new site!

      Delete
  7. You expect me to get on the floor on all 4's ( ,choke choke )I am not momma pea ,won't ever try to be, although I admire her .If I get on the floor ,its there I'll stay.I just ordered the Peggy Cappy yoga DVD ,For physical and mental use,it is for people my age who have not been living on a homestead the last 60 years--lol but for other 1/2 of the population that find it difficult to maneuver on the floor,I want what other yogans have ,peace of MINDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

    ReplyDelete

Followers