December 19, 2012

Perspective





It's 9:30 am and I am still in my pj's.  I just finished my morning oatmeal, and am working on the 2nd cup of coffee.  I have been up since 6 am, like most days.  I was reading through blogs and Facebook posts this morning and there is a recurring theme.....everyone is in a funk, myself included.

Many (49%) were more than disappointed with the election results back in November.  Then add in the continuing economy woes, and the last two or three weeks of mass shootings, and you have a very depressed country.  More than not, my friends are mentioning how they are just not in the Christmas spirit this year.  There seems to be nothing but bad news every where you turn.

But as I thought about this, I reminded myself that I have to put things into perspective.  So here is a small list of things:

-My father is a miracle!  If you had asked me back in February what I thought this year would bring, after finding out my father had a 4cm tumor in his head, my first response would not have been a happy one.  But he made it through the surgery and SRS treatment afterwards.  It was dicey when he got sick with a virus a few weeks later, but he pulled through, and thanks to G-d, he is doing amazing.  Pretty much back to his old self, minus a bit of tiredness.

-My children are healthy and safe.  Yes, I miss my daughter more than words can say, but I know she has tons of people watching out for her.  They could never do it as good as I would (mommy pride there lol), but they are doing a good job.

-I have a roof over my head, and food to eat.  Yes, at the moment I get help with the latter, but at this point and time I am ok with it.  My dream will happen.  I will be self sufficient, it will just take a bit of time.

-I have tons of friends and family that love me.  Unconditionally.

All in all, I have a lot to be grateful for.  More so than ungrateful for.  I think most of us do, but we have gotten a bit lost over the last few months.  So many people are hurting...physically and emotionally.  My prayer is that we all find peace for the new year.

And sometimes it's the little things that matter the most.  At the moment I have stock simmering on the stove for homemade chicken soup, and we just opened a box of Christmas presents from the boy's dad, to put under the tree (not till Christmas Eve because my new cat likes to shred paper lol).

And this makes me feel amazing:

It is my cousin's afghan that I am making her.  It is not quite half way done yet, and already I am in love with it.  What makes it all the better, is she came over this past Sunday and got to see what is done so far.  She was nearly in tears.  She loves it, and she loves that I want to make it for her.  That makes me feel good......to do something for someone else, that can make them smile.


It's all about perspective, and I am determined to see it from the good side of things, no matter how hard it is some days.
       

6 comments:

  1. The afghan is beautiful! And yes, some how, some way, we can find something to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you totally, there is much to be grateful for. Glad about your father, I have watched my father face hideous odds but he is still here by the grace of God and just turned 84.

    The afghan is really lovely, is the middle color black or dark blue? Either way I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JMD it is actually a dark purple. Unfortunately it doesn't show up well in the photos

      Delete
  3. The afghan is so pretty. And kitty approved! I love your list of things to be thankful for. When things look bleak, we tend to let that drown out the good things in our lives. They're always there if we simply look for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh, and yes, kitty approved lol. She has to be wherever I am doing anything. Even if that means she is being a pain the bum.

      Delete

Followers