February 26, 2013

Rainy Day

It's another rainy day here in NC, but that's ok.  It's better than another foot of snow, like they are getting in NH.  According to the local news station "back  home", it's the 3rd snowiest February on record.  Yeah, I'm good with not being in that :)

The king size afghan is finally DONE!  This isn't the best picture, I will get another once I have it on my cousin's bed soon, so you can see how it fits, but I am so glad it's done!
If I ever make another king size afghan again, there are some things I will do differently:
     *Make it in panels or sections, and attach them afterwards.  This became very hard to work on, the larger it got.
     *Using a double crochet for the ripples in this afghan made it too "stretchy", thus increasing the original planned size by 20 inches.  Next time I will use a half double stitch, so that it doesn't pull on the grannies.

Today is going to be a quiet day.  Some laundry needs to be done, school work for the boys, and some genealogy learning for me.  I can't wait to get taxes and get my home study course on CD, so I can get busy on my goal of becoming professional in that area.

We went yesterday to look at the double wide at the trailer park.  It was a mini disaster.  My aunt hounded the owner of the park, who kept reminding her in a polite way, that he really didn't want to show it yet, because it still needs work.  She is one though, that once she gets something in her head, she will NOT give up on it.  When we got there, he was very angry that he had to drop what he was doing to show it to her.  It's a nice layout, with a very large kitchen, good size bedrooms, and two baths.  It's actually more of a modular than a double wide.  He says he is pretty sure that it will be ready for the end of March, when we have to move, but to give him 3 weeks before we call him again.  I am praying he doesn't say no now, because of her actions.

Just in case, I have another place we will be checking out.  It's $100 more a month, but still well within our budgets, and hers when I move out.

I am also working on some budget planning.  I want to figure out how much of certain items that I know I can make myself (bread, rolls, pasta) I buy each month, and how much I will save by making them myself.  I am guessing it's in the $40-$50 range, but we will see.  There are other things, like meat and milk, that I can't do anything about yet, but even this little bit would be a huge help to our budget.  Besides, it gives me more "fresh food" for us to eat, and I just love doing it.  I already bake all our "goodies" like cake and such.

Hope you all are having a great week!       

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! The afghan is gorgeous, but I can imagine how hard it must have been to work on the bigger it got.

    I don't envy you feeding two teenage boys and trying to stay within a tight budget! I raised only one girl and I so remember a period of a few teenage years when she ate everything in the house (and still stayed model thin!). If you do make from scratch as much food as you can I think you'll find there are fewer "empty" calories and they'll stay filled up better. At least you can hope that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mama Pea! Oh my gosh, it weighs a ton!!!

      Yes, the boys eat me out of house and home so every penny counts :)

      Delete
  2. I see what you mean about the afghan, but it is beautiful; I know your cousin will love it. Sounds like some good changes are in store for you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh :) I am praying some good changes are coming, I am getting antsy.

      Delete

Followers