March 19, 2013

False Alarm

I got a call at 6:30 this morning from my darling daughter:

Me: Hello?

Sam: Hi Mummy.  I promise I am calling this early for something important.

Me: Ok, what's up?

Sam: I think my water broke.  I called Mickie (her grandmother, my mother), and she said it sounds like it, so I am heading to the hospital.

Me: Um...ok.  Who is driving?

Sam: Mark (her fiance's stepfather), because it's still snowing.  I was getting ready for work and all of a sudden, there was a puddle of water on the floor.  *insert some tears here as she gets worked up*  I'm scared.

Me: Ok sweetie, breathe (this is what I always tell her when she gets worked up).  Nothing you can do, just get to the hospital.  They will check you, and probably put a stress monitor on your belly to see what Jack is doing.

Sam: Ok.

Me: Call me when you find out something.  I love you.

I also called her father to give him a "head's up", and spoke to my mother, who promised to keep me updated if she heard anything before I did.

About 2 hours later I got a call from my mom.  Apparently my ex sister in law called the hospital (why I don't know...that is another story for another day...we are not close), and found out that it was a "very convincing" false alarm.  I don't know much more, other than they are sending her home.

It's been an interesting start to the day for sure.  I suspect Sam will be having my grandson before I get home in May.  If she is losing fluid, they probably won't let her go much longer.

Sighhhhhhhhh....now to get my heart to stop racing and get back into the normal grind for the day.            

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry, Stephanie. They would never have sent her home if she or the baby were the least bit in danger. Could it be that the baby was in a position pressing on her bladder and that was the fluid that leaked out? Sometimes (as distressing as it can be!) we don't have any control over our bladder and a baby playing soccer would trigger such a response! Let us know when you hear more. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I know that Mama Pea...just I was planning to be there for her when she had him (hold her hand, etc). Looks like little Jack might have other ideas. She thought about the urine issue too, but when she cleaned it up, it was clear and no odor. They checked her, she isn't even dilated, but that doesn't mean anything in this family....I was never dilated more than 2 cm when they finally had to use inducement and breaking my water to force the little buggers out at 42-43 weeks. My mom said she "dropped" a lot in the last week or so, so I am thinking Jack is getting ready.

      Delete

Followers