April 25, 2013

Kick In The Teeth

I got a call from Mom yesterday about the results of my dad's latest scan............

He has what they believe is another tumor, in the same spot where they took out the one a year ago.  There is a lot of swelling.  He also has a small one, on the right side, down near his neck.  They will also be doing another scan on Friday and checking his spine because he has been complaining of horrible back and leg pain for over a month.

So, while we will have the joy and excitement of the new baby while we are home, we will also be dealing most likely with surgery while I am there.

The surgeon will go into his head again, and get out whatever is there.  They will do the SRS radiation on the small spot on the right side.  And if there is cancer in the spine, basically there is nothing they can do.

My dad says he will fight it as long as he can....but he also pretty much has accepted that this will be it.

To say I cried a lot yesterday is an understatement.  But I need to get some of it out now, so I don't lose it when I get home in a few weeks.  I want to be strong for both him and my mother.

You always know "someday" you will lose your parents, and at nearly 71 and with cancer, I knew it would be sooner rather than later with my dad.  It doesn't make it any easier though.    

6 comments:

  1. No, it doesn't make it any easier. Saying a prayer for you, your dad and all of your family. Being all together in a couple of weeks will be good. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, oh no! What heartbreaking news. It's never easy when something like this happens to loved ones, no matter what their age. Hugs to you Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost both my parents to cancer withing two years and at about the same age as your father. It's hard to know that they know. It is just plain hard, even 20 yrs later.

    ReplyDelete

Followers