July 6, 2013

Lots Going On

Our big "push" right now is getting the rest of the garden area turned over, so that we can get planting.  We are about half way done, and will push ourselves this morning to get it done before it gets too hot.

Yesterday the boys cut down some cedar saplings, that we are going to clean up (take the branches off, etc), and they will be our fence posts.  I ordered 7ftx100ft deer screening, that should be in Tuesday, that we will put around the entire garden.  My landlord Bud uses it, and it has done well to keep out not only the deer, but the rabbits that are running around here.

I have learned about a ton of different plants here, both native, and things that Bud's mom planted, and plan to do a post on that once I get some photos.  I keep forgetting to take "before" and "after" photos of the areas we have gotten cleaned up and thinned out.  But I am a busy bee at it.

I have decided to plant my pickling cukes, peas, and sweet cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets rather than in the garden.  I will save space for other things, and since they vine anyway, it will save me from having to trellis them.  I will make some "bags" from the excess netting to put around the plants so that the animals leave them alone.

Ok, time for that 2nd cup of coffee, then need to get outside before the sun hits.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I'll be eager to see how your peas and picking cucs turn out planted in hanging baskets. Don't forget to take pictures! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Followers