August 2, 2013

Free Garden Journal

I have been going at this gardening thing a bit willy nilly, and I am making mistakes.  Like two days ago, when I added a small bit of fertilizer (organic, so thought it would be ok), to the squash and green bean plants.  I just put it on top of the grass mulch, near the base of the plants.  BIG MISTAKE!  Several of my squash plants fell over, and with their size, I assumed it was from the weight, which is a good thing.

Nope, the fertilizer damaged the stem, and they actually broke off from the root.  NOT GOOD.  I pulled them, cleaned off the damaged part, and replanted them, and gave them a shot of Miracle Gro mixed with water, to see if I can get them to re-root.  Joe helped me get the rest of the fertilizer off the remaining plants, and so far, they look ok.  I did give them a shot of Miracle Gro too, just to be sure. 

I don't normally add anything like fertilizer to the garden, but the landlord assured me this would help hold in the moisture.  He forgot to mention not to let it touch the plants lol.  Lesson learned.

Because of this, I went searching for a good, printable garden journal.  I found this one, and I am stoked to start keeping records of what works and what doesn't.  In my push to the magic age of 50, I am becoming a bit absent minded (yeah I know, kinda young for it), so this will help me keep track of things.  If you click on either "Print in color" or "Print in Black and White", the individual pages will open as a pdf, so that you can print them.  I will pick up a binder today, and make my journal.  I am not using all of the pages, but that is what I like about it....you can pick and choose what works for you.

Hope you get some use out of this. :)

4 comments:

  1. My best gardening experience has come from my mistakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am hoping for...to keep track of those "duh" moments so I can replicate if they work, or not if they don't lol.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link for the Garden Journal - that is really cool. Have a great day! Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete

Followers