August 24, 2013

Post #500 and Gardening

Wow!  When I went to hit the little pencil to create this post, I had no idea it was my 500th!  I feel like I should do something special.  But since I can't think of anything, I will just give a huge shout out to those who take the time to read my blog, and comment, and lurk, and cheer me on.  I am very grateful for each one of you!

This week I am "farm sitting".  My landlords are taking a much needed and deserved break, so I offered to keep an eye on things.  In exchange for doing that, I get to keep whatever eggs the girls give me, and anything I pick from the garden.  I think I am getting the better end of the deal, after just one day:




I am going to play hooky from church tomorrow, so that I can get those green beans canned.  I also have another large bag of those and okra in the fridge.  I am going to try dehydrating the okra like in this post by SciFi Chick.

And now an update on my own garden.  We finally got some serious rain the other day!  My rain barrels are full to overflowing, all my gallon milk jugs are full, and the landlord's water tanks are full again.  Just as his garden is starting to peter out, mine is just starting to take off.

 Peas.  The second batch I planted are just now sprouting.

 Cucumbers. 
 Actually have a few cukes now that I got them tied up.
 Tomato bed.  It is looking amazing considering I lost so much at the beginning
 I counted at least 3 tomatoes so far, celebrity.
 Second batch of corn.  I need to get the mulch back around the plants now that they are coming up good.
 This bed looks a little pitiful, but I am impressed.  The photo below this is a close up of onion
 And this is my one lone squash plant that survived.

 Second batch of green beans I planted sprouted thanks to the rain.  These are bush beans.
 My green pepper plant the landlord gave me.
 Hard to see, but that itty bitty green leaf is a sweet banana pepper plant.  I bought both red and green seeds, but only managed to get 3 of the green ones to sprout.
 The corn is doing fabulous!  I need to add some fertilizer to it tomorrow.
 My pole beans are finally doing good, and have tons of little beans on them.
 The corn is starting to get ears on it.
 The fig tree is doing well, which is more than I can say for the blackberries.  Still not sure if they will make it
 Shot of the garden from the back
 And the other side
 These peas have snuck out  the fence.  Sure hope the rabbits don't get them.
 And my catnip, which is going gang busters.

When I look at other's gardens online, I feel a bit bad, but then I remind myself...I got a very LATE start on a garden this year, and I am trying a new method with the mulch.  I am also trying to learn what works and doesn't work in this climate and soil.  So all in all, I think I am doing great.  I will be adding some manure to the garden in the next few weeks.  I had already put commercial fertilizer on it when I planted everything, this time I want to use a natural one.  The landlord just cleaned out the chicken pen, so going to snag some of that and add it.

Hope you all enjoyed my little tour, and hope you will stick around for the next 500 posts....by that time I should be well on my way to living my life as a homesteader/farmer.

 

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 500th post and I wish you 500 more, too!

    Loved seeing all the pictures of your garden. Yes, we all continue to learn about gardening year after year . . . and then some. It's always a challenge and we're always trying something new trying to do it easier and better.

    We still need rain. I'm watering the garden or I'm sure it wouldn't be producing right now. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mama Pea! You are one of my biggest cheer leaders, and I could never thank you enough for all the support you give me :)

      Hope you can get some rain...I know that feeling all too well. They aren't talking any more for us for the next week so I will be using all that we got the other day :)

      Delete
  2. You've got a nice big spread for gardening. Lucky you! Soon you'll be harvesting an amazing array of veggies. You, go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Daisy, we are very lucky to rent where are. The landlords are amazing!

      Delete

Followers