August 26, 2013

Successful First Canning

About a week and a half ago, I did the first canning I had ever done, with the fig preserves.  I was proud that I did it well, and all my jars sealed.

Yesterday was a long day on my feet, canning some salsa to use up a small batch of tomatoes, and also making pickles.  It took a lot longer than I realized it would, especially for the salsa.  But my aunt, who is my taste tester, said it was fabulous, so that is a plus.

For the salsa, I used this recipe.  I don't eat salsa, so can't even tell you what it tastes like, thus the need for a taste tester.  I did have to "tweak" the recipe a bit, as I didn't have enough to make a large batch, and I forgot the tomato paste.  Doesn't seem to affect the flavor at all.

And then after a short break, it was on to the pickles.  I couldn't find the necessary spices anywhere, so used this mix, that I found at Walmart.

It's another thing that I don't eat, but my aunt and Joe do, so the 12 pint jars will be done before I blink.  And forget it when Sam gets down here, she eats pickles like they are candy, so I don't know if I will be able to do enough to satisfy her lol.


These made me nervous, as most of them took a really long time to "ping", but eventually, but the time I went to bed at 11pm, they were all sealed.

Today will be getting that mountain of green beans done.  I haven't used the pressure canner yet, but figure as long as I follow the directions, I should be ok.

I have to be honest, I am feeling extremely accomplished.  Not to toot my own horn, but I am finally able to practice all those things that I have been researching and reading up on.  Life is good!

 

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first successful canning! It is a lot of work, but oh, what a wonderful feeling to have your kitchen cupboards filled with your own canned goods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh! It is hard work, but so wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Not knowing what I'm doing, I'm afraid I'll kill someone with my "canning". I've read that if you don't use a boiling water bath, two inches over the top of the jars, it isn't "canning", and the food needs to be refrigerated.

    SO...I'm going to be watching very closely. Don't leave out any steps, or my food WILL kill someone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not going to post step-by-step for my canning hun. I am not experienced enough. I highly recommend you follow Misty Prepper on Youtube, and read your book. Ball canning company also has a great website with recipes and tips.

      Delete
    2. Okay! You have fun and be sure and post photos! I will put MISTY PREPPER into the search on Youtube!!

      I've been to the google sites, but they don't hold my hand!! lol

      I am so glad I found you.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much Lotta Joy! I'm glad you like my blog :)

      Delete

Followers