September 11, 2013

Garden Picture Update

As promised, here is the much delayed picture update of the garden:

The peas.  I am getting some, but not enough for more than nibbling.  That is because I am a doofus, and bought dwarf peas.  Yeah, ok.  You can stop laughing now.  Next year I will be planting and entire large bed of the right kind of peas, so that I can freeze or can for the year, but for this year, it's nibbling.  Which is ok.  I love raw peas!


The cucumbers are looking a bit sad.  I think it is partly the kind of pickling cuke I bought, as well as I think I tied them up to the fence too early.  Since this picture, I have taken them down, and let them lay on the straw.

Speaking of straw.....I got all the straw you see in the photos for free.  The farmer that rents my landlord's land, cut the wheat quite some time ago, then he let the grass grow a bit, and cut again.  It's been laying out there for a good month or so.  The boys and I went out and got a bunch of it, so I could add it for mulch to the garden.  It's working perfectly.  We are going to get some raked up and put away for the landlord too, for the chooks and Miss Martha, the goat.  Then he doesn't have to pay for straw.


My tomato bed is going gangbusters!  The tomatoes are on the verge of ripening, and more are popping out every day.  Sad thing is, not one of these is one of my starts.  Mine all died off.  These are all starts from the landlord's plants that he gave me, or cuttings from those starts.  Either way, I might get enough to make some sauce before cold weather hits.


My second patch of corn.  Despite some of it not sprouting, we got a good number of plants.  And in the front left there, you will see a random tomato plant.  I'm not sure how it jumped beds, but I will take it.  I don't dare move it because it might die, so just letting it go there.


You can't see anything here yet, but I am watering twice a day, for the green onion seeds I planted.  Another week and I should see some results, or not.


What I thought awhile ago were onions....turned out to be peas that apparently the birds wanted planted in a different spot of the garden.  I didn't put them here.


My lone surviving squash plant, after the fertilizer fiasco.  I am happy to say it is a butternut!  I wasn't sure whether it would be that or summer squash.  I prefer butternut, and it even has a little squash on it.


My first batch of corn.  All the stalks have at least 3-4 ears on them, some more than that. We won't get enough to put away for the whole winter, but definitely a success for me.  If I can keep the critters away from it.  First it was the deer.  They pushed against one of the fence posts, so they could get to it.  Then it was racoons, pulling some ears right through the netting.  I think I finally have it secure...two days and no more damage.


My green pepper plant the landlord gave me.  It hasn't done much, but is finally getting tons of buds, ready to produce peppers.  I will do what I did with the ones I got from the landlord....dry them in the dehydrator, and store them for recipes.  I probably will eat a few just as they are, as I love them.


Despite a rough start, the green beans are doing fabulous.  I think there was a serious mix up at the factory though.  I planted the first ones, which the package said were pole beans.  They turned out to be bush beans.  There are a few new plants in the front there, that the package said were bush beans, that have turned out to be pole beans lol.


This little sprout (it's about 5 inches tall now), and another near it, are banana peppers.  I had never tried them before.  I had done starts before, but they didn't survive the hot sun of July.  So I redid some, and so far, so good.

In this same bed, in an open area not planted, are some broccoli and cauliflower seeds I put in.  I don't know if they will come up or not.  We will see.

And in non-garden news, here is what I just finished up for a friend:


Crocheted layette set for her grand-niece, who is due any day.

I am also in the process of knitting my first sweater for myself, and making newborn hats for a charity.

Tomorrow I will post about what I have learned so far with my garden, here in NC.  It's a lot different than NH.











 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to take and post all the garden pictures. I loved seeing them! Isn't it a wonder how we all manage to garden in such different climates? Your garden looks as if it's just getting a good healthy start and mine is definitely just about done and on the way out. I had to remind myself a couple of times during reading your post that you still have the luxury of lots of growing time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure Mama Pea! Yes, mine is definitely doing much better now that the August heat is pretty much gone. I am reading a book now, that is specifically for the NC climate and hope to learn a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By this time next year you should have a PHD in what not to do in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Free straw, that's fantastic! It's amazing how much our gardens teach us, isn't it?

    I wanted to mention that I've changed my blog address, but feed readers won't catch that (so my most recent post appears to be several weeks old!). I love your comments, so I hope you'll update your feed reader and keep on visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is!

      I am so glad you told me about the change. I was wondering why I hadn't seen anything lately.

      Delete

Followers